Effects usage and importing/exporting projects

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Roostrider

Effects usage and importing/exporting projects

Post by Roostrider »

Hey there.... I am a studio owner who is considering purchasing MTDAW on my iPad2 to use in conjunction with my existing studio, but i have some questions before I purchase.

what effects are included with MTDAW?
Can I record dry and then apply them for playback/mastering?
How many tracks can be layered with effects at once?
Will too many effects hinder the performance? (knowing that effects are demanding on the CPU)
can I print with these effects? (include them on the recorded track to reduce CPU drain)
Is there now, or will there soon be, add ons in the effects department?
Can I use multitasking and a third party effects processor to record wet straight to MTDAW? (if so, which and recommendations please)

I am also wondering about exporting tracks to use with my desktop DAW's, such as Pro-Tools and Sonar.

Can I export all recorded tracks for a project and import them into PT or Sonar without doing it one by one, so that they all naturally line up in the timeline? Thus allowing me to "finish" them on the desktop DAW
How about that same scenario in reverse? Import a pile of tracks for a song so that I can work on it wherever I have my iPad?

How about settings and levels and whatnot? Or would I need to rework all that whenever I switch formats?

I see that the developer is very involved with this app, and that is largely steering me towards this app, but I do want to have some effects available on the go, including a decent chorus, and be able to layer them without killing the CPU.... I see that Meteor has implemented a way to temporarily print effects on a track to reduce CPU drain... Wondering how this all works for MTDAW

I appreciate any input you may have!

MDB
pwnified

Re: Effects usage and importing/exporting projects

Post by pwnified »

what effects are included with MTDAW?
Track effects include Parametric EQ (2 Bands) and 2 Shelving EQ's, and Compression.
There is 1 fx bus which has Reverb and Delay.
Can I record dry and then apply them for playback/mastering?
All recording is done dry, and effects/fades/edits are applied non-destructively.
How many tracks can be layered with effects at once?
All 24 stereo tracks can have separate eq and compression.
Will too many effects hinder the performance? (knowing that effects are demanding on the CPU)
MultiTrack does a system of autofreezing in the background, completely transparently. (Except in the case of updating a project, you will see an "Optimizing" progress bar, only the first time a project is opened)
can I print with these effects? (include them on the recorded track to reduce CPU drain)
You can bounce, with effects, if you copy regions from multiple tracks at once. The bounce will also include bus effects (Reverb and Delay). You don't need to explicitly worry about trying to reduce CPU usage, as MultiTrack takes care of this automatically for you in the background.
Is there now, or will there soon be, add ons in the effects department?
I'm considering other effects as add-on products.
Can I use multitasking and a third party effects processor to record wet straight to MTDAW? (if so, which and recommendations please)
No. You can use other outboard gear of course, to record the effected signal into the daw. But you can't record the effected output of another app running on the same device.
Can I export all recorded tracks for a project and import them into PT or Sonar without doing it one by one, so that they all naturally line up in the timeline?
Yes. Use the Wi-Fi to download the "Tracks", it will render all the regions of a track, and insert silence at the beginning and between regions, so that the tracks all line up sample accurate. There is an option to include effects on the Wi-Fi page interface. You'll have to download them one at a time though.
How about that same scenario in reverse? Import a pile of tracks for a song so that I can work on it wherever I have my iPad?
Yes, many import options exist, Wi-Fi is probably the cleanest for keeping each song separated without having to use a shared directory for all the tracks. With Wi-Fi you upload Bins directly into a song.
How about settings and levels and whatnot? Or would I need to rework all that whenever I switch formats?
MTD doesn't support import/export of other daw formats at this time. However I'm considering OMF, and any input on this is welcome.
I see that Meteor has implemented a way to temporarily print effects on a track to reduce CPU drain... Wondering how this all works for MTDAW
Effects are printed on an internal cache track (or freeze track as other daws like to call it) but the difference is that MultiTrack DAW uses a single one for all the 24 tracks, and freezes/unfreezes in the background automatically. This removes the complexity of the user having to think about it, as well as the UI buttons etc. so it just works as if you had random access control over all those tracks, and they were all brute force rendered and mixed in realtime!

Thanks for the questions.
Roostrider

Post by Roostrider »

Wow... Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply!

Sold... Off to purchase....

Is there a way you can contact me when/if add ons become available for effects?.... Would really love to see a chorus... But this kind of support is unbeatable....
mfox

Post by mfox »

When the above says "All recording is done dry, and effects/fades/edits are applied non-destructively," does that include compression. Is the channel compression applied after the track is recorded, and if so, is it fed by the Master Fx fader which feeds the Send pot?