Tascam US-800 (8 Inputs simultaneously)

How to use MultiTrack DAW
llamaman

Cannot monitor playback with phones - Tascam US-800/iPad 1

Post by llamaman »

Hello! Just getting started with ipad(1) and the Tascam US-800. I can monitor the track I'm recording through the Tascam. But when playing back, nothing comes through the phones, only thru the ipad's speaker. Likewise, when recording a 2nd track, I can monitor it through the Tascam, but hear the original track only through the ipad's speaker. (I get nothing at all if I attempt to monitor through the iPad - a little window briefly pops up recognising the mic, and that's it.)

The Tascam manual does have a section on "using the mixer for monitoring" but this involves the Tascam's software, which comes on a CD-ROM. I don't own a Mac - do I need to locate one, load the software on it, then connect my ipad and load the software onto it? Or is there a simple solution not involving the Tascam software?

I've searched the forum and will feel pretty stupid if the answer's there and I've missed it. Thanks in advance.
pwnified

Re: Tascam US-800 (How to get 8 inputs simultaneously)

Post by pwnified »

oldtomfoolery wrote:Will this work for the iPhone too?
Unfortunately not. The Camera Connection Kit required to put the device into USB host mode is only supported on the iPad, in all public releases of iOS.
pwnified

Re: Cannot monitor playback with phones - Tascam US-800/iPad

Post by pwnified »

llamaman wrote:Or is there a simple solution not involving the Tascam software?
That is one thing that bugs me about it. There are no controls to turn off hardware monitoring on the unit, so you have to load the software onto a computer:
Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 3.16.44 PM.png
I had set the monitor to "Computer 1/2" and could record 6 microphones into the other channels, and spdif output from a CD player into 7 and 8, with no problems and software input monitoring with reverb. Luckily the settings are retained when switching to the iPad, but I will check to see if they are retained after powering off the unit for a length of time.

BTW, if you plug headphones into the iPad, an aggregate device is then created which consists of the input section of the Tascam and the internal headphone output. You should be able to use this system as well, with Input Monitor turned on in the Menu. Make sure you use headphones, not the headset with mic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I tried unplugging the power after changing settings with the computer, to see if the settings are retained when power is off. Unfortunately, they dont seem to be. The monitor switched back to "Mixer" and started direct monitoring again. When plugging the USB cable back into the computer and starting the software, direct monitoring turns off again.
llamaman

Post by llamaman »

I had set the monitor to "Computer 1/2" and could record 6 microphones into the other channels, and spdif output from a CD player into 7 and 8, with no problems and software input monitoring with reverb. Luckily the settings are retained when switching to the iPad, but I will check to see if they are retained after powering off the unit for a length of time.
Thanks for checking into this. (You sure keep late hours!) I'm a songwriter who admits to being very tech challenged, so I'm going to ask if you'll clarify the above:

(1) By "monitor" you mean "phones" in the software's output section, right?
(2) "Software input monitoring with reverb"?
(3) Re "luckily the settings are retained, etc.," what are you referring to when you mention "switching to the iPad"?
BTW, if you plug headphones into the iPad, an aggregate device is then created which consists of the input section of the Tascam and the internal headphone output. You should be able to use this system as well, with Input Monitor turned on in the Menu. Make sure you use headphones, not the headset with mic.
How to do this?

Finally, My IOS is v. 4.xx. Would you recommend updating to 5?

Thanks for a great product - and for your patience. :oops:
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

llamaman wrote:(1) By "monitor" you mean "phones" in the software's output section, right?
In that case it is just the selection checkboxes in the tascam software (for the image above), where you decide what to monitor. Set to "Computer 1/2", just means that headphones plugged into the tascam will "Monitor" (or listen to) outputs 1 and 2 coming from the Computer (or the iPad if you switch the usb cord to it).
If it is set to "Mixer", this is called Hardware Monitoring, because the signal is direct, analog, signal sent from input to headphones with zero latency. It is ON by default on the tascam unit.
(2) "Software input monitoring with reverb"?
'Software monitoring' this is when the DAW takes signal from the input, and spits it back out to the outputs. Signal goes from input, through the DAW, to output. This allows you to use reverb/effects on the monitor signal. With software monitoring, there will be a bit of latency, depending on buffer sizes, etc.
(3) Re "luckily the settings are retained, etc.," what are you referring to when you mention "switching to the iPad"?
Unplugging the usb cord from the computer and plugging it into the iPad. The monitor selection settings are retained.
How to do this?
Plug the Tascam into the iPad first, then plug headphones (not headset) into the iPad. And from the Menu in MultiTrack, select 'Input Monitor'
Finally, My IOS is v. 4.xx. Would you recommend updating to 5?
Yes, absolutely. iOS 5 is required to get all the inputs simultaneously, and contains much improved device detection. This might explain why you're having problems actually.
Thanks for a great product - and for your patience. :oops:
No problem!
Ringleader42

Post by Ringleader42 »

Guitar center "snowman" coupon code just knocked $15 off the $99 price. Had to pay tax but for $88.62 shipped I figured I'd give it a shot. Now I'm just hoping Santa brings me an iPad for Christmas.

Edit: that code looks to be expired but "Clear11" appears to work and saves $20 instead of $15!
Rockroom

Post by Rockroom »

I've had my iPad 2 for several months now and it has been the most useful gadget I've ever had. I also own and operate a recording studio and was thrilled to be able to use another app to remotely control Pro Tools, and a different one for room tuning, as well as a plethora of others, but this app, well, let's just say it opens many new doors for creativity and I bought it the second I read about it!

I just ordered a US-800 and I'll pick up the camera kit today, but MultiTrack will allow me to do some MT location recordings with just a few things like mics and cables, which I can fit in a briefcase. This is great!

Now, forgive me for not trying this yet, (noob) but will I be able to export the "sessions" as something I can import into Pro Tools, (that would be killer) or will I only be able to export a stereo mix? Looks like I can export the individual tracks, but maybe there's an easier way to export the entire session? Either way, awesome app!

I'm sure everyone is dying to know if there's a larger interface they can use with ths app and I'm also sure that as soon as pwnified finds out about it, we will know right away.

Thanks for a great app and causing an old audio guy to get all excited about a new use for his favorite gadget!
rustkings

Post by rustkings »

I can't wait to see what other docks will work, maybe the presonus or mackie? Maybe the behringer USB mixers? Practically giddy!
Andrew Neelands

Post by Andrew Neelands »

I had to buy the US-600 as the US800 has been discontinued. However, the Ipad2 DAW APP & The Tascam US600 does not work together. I have the camera kit & the message shows me ' Usb device not supported. I was on the apple forum and advised to try a powered usb hub. I am still having the same problem. Yet when I switch the power switch on the hub, the message disappears, yet when I arm the tracks, it just says mono.
My Tascam picks up the signal from the mikes, but does not connect to the IPAD. Apparently the USB1800 is having the same problem. Please can you help.

Thanks

Andrew