recording time limits

How to use MultiTrack DAW
RecordingforHim

recording time limits

Post by RecordingforHim »

Before I purchase Multitrack, I need to know what the single recording time limits are. My intentions are to use it to record seminars, etc. up to 2 hours in length using a Beringher UCA 222.

If anyone can help me here, it would be greatly appreciated.
pwnified

Re: recording time limits

Post by pwnified »

There is a 2 hour soft limit. Meaning, you wont be able to scroll the display more than 2 hours. I dont recommend using MultiTrack for single track recording more than around 20 minutes though. This is because it uses more filespace than a single track dedicated field recorder. Multitrack is optimized for many tracks in parallel. It uses a cachetrack which spans the entire length of the song and is about 4 times the size of a single wav file that is the same length. So the more tracks you have in parallel the lower the amortized cost of the extra cachetrack (it becomes a smaller percentage of total song size).

Something like TwistedWave or FiRe might be better for field recording.
RecordingforHim

Post by RecordingforHim »

Thank you for the info. I will review the other programs, but keep Multitrack in mind for other purposes.
Snapsting

Post by Snapsting »

Ah, this explains the problem I encountered last night, and negates me from posting a topic asking why I can't completely zoom out on the display to see all of a long recording session. I was using MT to record a jam session, and after about two hours the display stopped advancing. it also took a long time to calculate the wav file displays after recording had finished (on ipad1)

I've got an alesis io dock, and was recording through two condenser mics to two separate tracks. As far as I'm aware MT is the only app that can do this at the moment with the io dock, all other apps just lump the two inputs onto one track, which isn't ideal for my requirements.

A long shot maybe but does anyone have an idea of a workaround?

Great app by the way, and fantastic forum. I'd never have guessed just one person was behind this app!