MultiTrack quiet audio out problems.

How to use MultiTrack DAW
CherryRed

MultiTrack quiet audio out problems.

Post by CherryRed »

Hi folks,

Sorry if this comes across as dim, but I'm stuck, so I'm asking.

I want to use MultiTrack to play out drum tracks thru a mixing desk and attached p.a. for one of the projects I'm working with. I'm using a 3.5mm stereo out of the iphone 3gs headphone socket that I have MultiTrack running on, to two mono 1/4 inch jacks into the mixer (this setup works fine with my macbook pro fwiw). So far so good.
However, I'm getting really really low volumes with MultiTrack when I do this, despite everything being up as far as it will go (joy) on the desk, and the output fader for MT up too. This is the case whatever type of input into the mixer I choose (balanced, unbalanced, stereo, mono, tape / cd in - all of them. It's a Behringer powered mixer should it be relevant).
On the other hand, if I switch to the iPod app on the 3gs, volumes are fine as you would expect.

Is this to do with the internal processing the iPod app does with headphone out versus what MT does ? Would I have better luck with getting usable volumes from MT if I used a dock with audio out capabilities ? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any advice. I had hoped to use my 3gs and MT to replace dragging my macbook pro around for this purpose so I'm willing to buy extra kit to get this working.
CherryRed

Re: MultiTrack quiet audio out problems.

Post by CherryRed »

Just answered my own question - wiggling my 3gs into a borrowed 1st gen iphone dock and using the audio out from that into the mixer works brilliantly.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Try flipping the "Speaker Out" toggle in the menu of MultiTrack on/off. Also, the hardware volume buttons on the iPhone will affect the volume separately from the "Out" fader in MultiTrack itself. There should be no problem getting enough gain out of the headphone outs into a mixer, but let me know if these things don't work.
CherryRed

Post by CherryRed »

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I did try the hardware rocker switch and as I recall I toggled the speaker out on and off (but I can't be sure), but I self-sorted in the end as I said by using a dock.
I just took delivery of a SendStation Pocket Dock today too, which sounds great through the mixer - on cans at least. The real test will be early next week in a "live" setting.
Really loving MultiTrack so far, it is going to help my cut the content of my kit bag for some projects down to almost nothing. What a relief !