First Impressions...

How to use MultiTrack DAW
airmanchairman

First Impressions...

Post by airmanchairman »

Now that I've dragged my jaw off the floor and wiped all the drool off my face, I must say I'm mightily impressed with Multi-Track's functionality plus the splendid presentation of your website and forum.

I haven't got any further than running the app on my 32Gb iPhone 3GS, uploading an MP3 into 2 tracks and then trying out the muting and panning, but it works like a dream so far. I cannot believe that all this goodness is crammed into just over 1Mb - crikey, have you used only raw assembler code?

Of the browsers I tried so far (Safari 4 and IE8) on my Win XP MCE Dell PC, IE8 is the one that has worked as described - Safari (for Windows obviously) so far is unable to upload files, although it connects OK via Bonjour and via the IP-address-URL. Will try Firefox and Chrome for the record, later.

I have just taken delivery of the Alesis ProTrack recorder and will also report on its suitability for this app - has anyone done so and got feedback and suggestions on settings?
pwnified

Re: First Impressions...

Post by pwnified »

airmanchairman wrote:I cannot believe that all this goodness is crammed into just over 1Mb - crikey, have you used only raw assembler code?
Believe it or not, it's coded in 100% Objective-C and OpenGL for rendering. Most all optimizations were from a higher level, objective-c is such a perfect language that it's really easy to change things. Beautiful language.
airmanchairman wrote:Of the browsers I tried so far (Safari 4 and IE8) on my Win XP MCE Dell PC, IE8 is the one that has worked as described - Safari (for Windows obviously) so far is unable to upload files, although it connects OK via Bonjour and via the IP-address-URL. Will try Firefox and Chrome for the record, later.
Crap. The upload problem is the only bug so far, and I thought it only affected later versions of the Firefox browser. I was hoping to not have to release a bug fix version just for this javascript bug.
airmanchairman wrote:I have just taken delivery of the Alesis ProTrack recorder and will also report on its suitability for this app - has anyone done so and got feedback and suggestions on settings?
Great! Please post your findings in the "Input options and microphones" thread. I'm dying to know how it sounds.

Thanks for your interest in MultiTrack.
Kalib

Post by Kalib »

Bravo! Great application at a reasonable price. I recall the first 16 track (reel to reel) I wanted and how it was going to cost me thousands and be a pain to maintain, my second digital one (ADAT) and the calibration issues and again thousands in cost but better or even rebuilding my Windows machine for my 16 track Presonus FireStudios (above 8 still has an issue) for a hundreds and now in my pocket for the price of a CD I have a portable 16 track. Quite amazing.

The ui is simple, logical and follows iPhone rules for use (yes I originally was stumped on delete track but I am glad you did it iPhone style - better than a logical duh than you creating an alternative way or mirroring a desktop OS's). Like everyone else, I'm just waiting for a Presonus Firebox to iPhone doc mic input system to match. Onwards and upwards and congrats.
bernard carville

Post by bernard carville »

I love this app!
It's the Swiss Army knife of recorders! Very easy to use.I don't even own a computer.All I have is an iphone3g.I've had decent results filling some tracks,taking the headphone jack out into the inputs of a no frills stereo mixer and taking the output of the mixer into a stand alone consumer CD burner deck.Actually made a decent acoustic guitar/vocal demo of myself. This app blows me away! I'm an old pro bassist.I have done my share of recording sessions/jingles,etc. I've had a 4 track cassette portastudio or two.This is way easier! I 've been showing to the various musicians I gig with. They are all amazed! Even the guys who run pro studios think it's great.As far as the price being too high I think it's too low. Then again I 'm old enough to remember how expensive the original reel to reel tape Teac 3340s 4 track decks were.In 70's dollars no less! I 'm really looking forward to the improvements.I would really like tips on how to plug in better mikes,electric bass & guitars,keys,using a better mixer,etc.I'm sure that's all going to come in the future.
Congratulations & well done,Sir!
crunchysteve

Post by crunchysteve »

airmanchairman wrote:Now that I've dragged my jaw off the floor and wiped all the drool off my face, I must say I'm mightily impressed with Multi-Track's functionality plus the splendid presentation of your website and forum.
I know the feeling! Awesome app! The desktop is dead... well, maybe not now, but soon.
CherryRed

Post by CherryRed »

+1

I love this app - I discovered it yesterday, and used it last night to record a rehearsal session. The iphone mic ran for cover as soon as the drummer started up, but I expected that - not the apps fault ! ;)

What blows me away is the simple interface and how everything when needed pops up and then shrinks down out of the way - brilliant. And the fact that one can upload audio files into the app - which means when I have created drum tracks and bass tracks in Garageband for one of the "projects" I manage, I can slap them into the app and bring my iphone to rehearsals and plug that into the desk instead of my macbook as I did previously. I can't express how happy that makes me, as it lightens my gear bag considerably. And when you're a five foot three girlie with a bad back, hefting less gear around is always a priority.

Looking forward to getting an iPad in the future and using this great app with it too.
Yann Le Bihan

Post by Yann Le Bihan »

Hi all,

Same song here... just discovered this incredible app, felt at home in a matter of seconds and started to make music. I have transferred a bunch of instrumentals from Logic that were desperately waiting for their audio tracks... and recorded some great vocals during a mountain trip, with very inspiring landscape around me ! An enormous thank you to the developer.
Rossin

Post by Rossin »

Here is another happy dude that just loves the way this program rolls! Thank you so much to the creator of it

for it surely is a result of uncompromised intent for smoothness and quality--the prove that with the same amount of (somewhat limited on the ipod/phone) memory and system speed, one can achieve blattantly different qualities of their products. I'm just stunned at how UNUSABLE other similar products are!

After nerve-breaking dealing with gimmicky FourTrack that wasn't able to get a simple 4 min stereo file through its own audiocopy system (it does the precedure but can't handle the "memory usage", for some reason this highly praised crapbox gets stuck at all times for most people!!! grrrr!) i thought, "DAMMIT there MUST be some decent multitrack recorder out there!".

For some reason, on itunes it is not the first prog that pops up after searching "recorder", "tracks recorder". I think i must have typed "multitrack" and happilly came across this nice software!

Thank you again so much!!

Requests: ability to copy/paste from the wonderful BeatMaker program (was it Intua system?).

and just on a complete unrelated subject, but for sake of not opeing a special thread for it--can anyone enlighten me: is DopplerPad just a mono toy or it is only my impression and only limited familiarity with it? thanks!
Rossin

Post by Rossin »

here just for your curiosity is the file/song (a cover of the Stones i made) that "fourtrack" cannot even copy and which runs EXTREMELY smoothly on MultiTrack EVEN along with 3 more tracks:

http://perso.orange.fr/raydimitry/soni/ ... Horses.mp3

p.s. it is 4mins song but it took me no time to have it appear on MultiTrack through WiFi!
SonOfCain

Post by SonOfCain »

Bravo!

Love the App, i downloaded it tonight and was tracking 3 minutes later. The interface is great: intuitive, clutter-free, and quick to use. To say it is well-thought-out would be understating.

Have spent the last hour or so reading this forum, and am very pleased to see that the continuing development of Multitrack has taken, and continues to take, user input into consideration to such a degree. Seeing this makes me confident that the future of this App is bright indeed.

Completely useable and worthy as it is, the upcoming features in 2.0 will be icing on a fine cake. I'll be plugging Multitrack every chance i get.

Peace,

Mark