Unable to boot/open Multitrack after update

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Rosin

Unable to boot/open Multitrack after update

Post by Rosin »

Hello,
i use ipodtouch 2G and so far i've been running Multitrack EXTREMELY smoothly. Even with several stereo tracks.

Now after the update i simply can't open the program. It only shows a black screen with a white band on the left lower corner (seeing page in landscape mode) with the words "Wi-Fi" written on it.

Note that my wi-fi connection is running normally, it is not like it demands connection and doesn't get it.

Thanks for your attention!
pwnified

Re: Unable to boot/open Multitrack after update

Post by pwnified »

Was it an iOS update or a MultiTrack update, or both? It sounds like your songs didn't get restored.
Rosin

Post by Rosin »

It is the latest application update. Here, i found some more details:

IF my headphones/mike (remember ipodtouch) is hooked when booting
then i get only a frozen halfscreen displayed and nothing starts.

If i boot the app WITHOUT any phones/mike, then the app starts normally,
my songs are there. There is naturally no input on the mike slider but the moment
i hook the phones/mike the app registers them and accepts input & the indicator
for input gets lively.

While i'm here and not to make separate threads for that: where is the mnue for exporting the
sound files? i just can't find it!! i remember clearly having successfully transfered in the past
songs to computer via Wi-Fi but i just can't find it now. Despite that one of the "frozen screens" i'm
talking about upper is a "wifi" screen.
Another question, is it normal that there are NO effects on ipodtouch at all?? If yes, howcome? Because
i feel my 2G ipodtouch has enough juice to run several heavilly processed tracks simultaneously (on amplitube it works with no stutter), is it a matter of platform, or i'm missing something??
thanks!
Rosin

Post by Rosin »

Oh Okay, transfer is from the Help/sharing/upgrade folder (it showed me empty space the previous time for some reason..).
Now, only the effects question left.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Can you tell me what version of iOS is on your iPod 2nd gen?
Erik dP

Post by Erik dP »

I also have a Itouch 2G, and if I understand it correctly from what I read, the hardware is the same as the 3G versions with the least memory (8GB, 16GB?). But somehow the versions are separated in SW so that the 2G doesn't handle multitasking or what is needed for fx. (I wonder if the 2G could be tricked into beleaving it is a 3G for more apps/features to work.) The benefit of the better input (no sharp 150Hz low cut) made me buying the 2G instead of 3G/3GS/4G. The cheaper price, and no need to buy an overpriced dock connector made sense while the effects were absent for MT.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The 3rd gen iPod and iPhone 3GS and later, have a vastly better cpu. They supports arm NEON which is SIMD (single instruction multiple data). Meaning, it can perform many parallel operations in a single clock cycle. So writing assembly specifically for these processors is much, much faster than the 2nd gen or 3G.

It would have been possible to maybe have done some fx on a few tracks. However when you start to add partial features it gets more complicated quickly because you need to think about what happens when the limits are reached, as well as establish the limits themselves. For example what does the user see? What kind of UI are they presented with and what extra limiting variables are then set in the software? Does the user need to remove fx from a track in order to add to another? Rather than increase the complexity and subsequent bugs, I choose to keep it simple in an all-or-none type of way. I also didn't want to leave those older devices out in the cold so they are still supported with the reduced feature set.

But not for long. I've always supported iOS3 and later, and I will continue to support the older devices for as long as possible, but Apple have said that the next iOS major version will leave them out, and I'll have no choice but to comply (support for iOS3 is ending in xcode, the Apple libraries wont support them)