Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Anorton

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Post by Anorton »

I received this email from Focusrite regarding the Scarlett 2i2:

"We have heard some reports of people using the 2i2 with an ipad, but it is not an officially supported use of our product. From what I've heard you will need a powered hub and the ipad camera connection kit. You can always try it out, but be advised that it may not work flawlessly and we will be unable to offer support as we have not tested this ourselves."
gnidrolog

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Post by gnidrolog »

I am using the Focusrite 2i2 with an Ipad 4 very successfully. It is connected to the Ipad with a Belkin USB hub and an Apple CCK. The settings section of Multitrack DAW allow you to set the sample rate (44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96khz) and bit depth (16 or 24 bits). I tested each of these settings with the 2i2 by recording and examining the exported .wav file to see that it was recorded using the requested settings. It recorded at 96khz 24bits with no dropouts. Multitrack recording works perfectly, with no discernible latency between tracks when listening or observing the waveforms on Reaper and Sound Forge.

I use this setup for recording acoustic guitar in stereo. It is so much easier than using a PC, either a desktop or laptop. Tuning the settings of Windows 7 to prevent dropouts proved to be a challenge, and fan noise was always a problem, leading to lengthy cables and remote control with an ipod/ipad or nexus app. The Ipad setup is much simpler, and the results are impressive. The battery on the Ipad cannot be charged when using the CCK, but the 2i2 is getting it's power from the USB hub, and the battery lasts for a whole day of recording easily.

I'm happy !
Sanjay Sugumaran

Post by Sanjay Sugumaran »

amturner wrote:Hi all,

I've successfully been able to get my Scarlett 2i2 to work with the iPad2, using the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. The hub I'm using is a basic Belkin 4 port USB2 powered hub (model # F4U020).

Without the hub, the iPad gives the standard "not enough power" error message.

It seems to work as hoped - both right and left channels are captured cleanly in garageband and in multitrack DAW.

The setup was straightforward - hub into the camera connection kit USB adapter, focusrite via usb cable into the hub.

Not sure why it might be working for me and not for others, save for the variable in the calculation - the type of USB powered hub, perhaps.

Cheers,
Angela
I have the same rig but the output stops working very frequently. I don't know what the problem is. Googled my way through and i can only conclude that its the usb powered hub that has to be changed. Let me know if there is anything that i can do to make it work fine. I use the loopy hd more often and face such difficulty.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I've been using a "Belkin 2.0 4-port USB white" powered hub for a few years now with virtually no problems. It's also important to use an Apple lightening/CCK adapter rather than a less expensive alternative.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

That really is a good hub, has never failed me either.
Ultimatetone

Post by Ultimatetone »

As of this evening, I have successfully recorded into a 5th Gen iPod Touch using
a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and the USB-to-Lightning Camera Connection Kit (CCK).

Some initial testing was done this evening and it appears that after properly configuring the Scarlett for iPad use (since iPhone/iPod Touch are not 'officially' supported) and installed Scarlett MixControl BETA 1.9b4 (see 2 Focusrite links below)

I set-up my Scarlett as per Focusrite's Scarlett MixControl Routing Preset 'DAW Tracking' - the suggested setting for those iPad users wanting to monitor the output of their given App via the Scarlett's own headphone output(s). I also set Scarlett MixControl to 24-bit 44.1k internally clocked.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/conn ... to-an-ipad

http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/

Ultimatetone