Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
aimsport

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Post by aimsport »

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on the Focusrite Scarlett.

Anybody have Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 working through the Camera Connection Kit on iPad 2?

With or without a powered USB hub?
pwnified

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Post by pwnified »

I had tried a Scarlett 8i6, which didn't work, so it doesn't look good for the 2i2 if their USB implementation is anything the same as the 8i6. However it's always a surprise which units work and which don't, so give it a try if possible.
aimsport

Post by aimsport »

I will give the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a try and report.

I will also contact Focusrite if it doesn't work and suggest they not ignore the iPad DAW market... Harmonicdog specifically.

Awooooooooooooo! Ruf. Ruf. Awoooooooooooooooooooooo!
lunavelis

Post by lunavelis »

I attempted to connect my Scarlett 2i2 to my iPad 2 running iOS5 via the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. I received a "device not supported" message. Sometimes, this message won't matter & the device will work, regardless - but no luck. I tried in Garageband and MultiTrack DAW.

Weirdly, it works in mono on my iPhone 4.

I've seen evidence of people getting the Scarlett to work successfully on iPad - I've reached out to them to try to understand their gear & procedures in the hopes of solving this. Additionally, someone from Focusrite on their official Facebook page stated that they succeeded in getting it to work, although it is not a supported feature.

I'll keep digging and report back if/when I succeed. My guess is that because the device is not actually USB class compliant (it doesn't work with generic drivers) it won't work until an update to the drivers or firmware comes from Focusrite.
amturner

Post by amturner »

Hi all,

I've successfully been able to get my Scarlett 2i2 to work with the iPad2, using the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. The hub I'm using is a basic Belkin 4 port USB2 powered hub (model # F4U020).

Without the hub, the iPad gives the standard "not enough power" error message.

It seems to work as hoped - both right and left channels are captured cleanly in garageband and in multitrack DAW.

The setup was straightforward - hub into the camera connection kit USB adapter, focusrite via usb cable into the hub.

Not sure why it might be working for me and not for others, save for the variable in the calculation - the type of USB powered hub, perhaps.

Cheers,
Angela
mdeboer

Post by mdeboer »

Hi Angela,

Do you have both input and output working? I am considering to buy a USB sound card and the Scarlett 2i2 certainly looks interesting, but the varying success rates make me a bit hesitant. Did anyone else get it to work?

Thanks,

Maarten
awkwrdm3

Post by awkwrdm3 »

amturner,

I'm thinking about getting a 2i2 but you are the only person I have seen that said it his worked with thier Ipad. Could you post a YouTube video... I have even tried to talk to focusrite about it but they wont get back to me:( . Thanks so much
Ipadetheridge

Post by Ipadetheridge »

Amtuner is right:

I currently got lucky and found the same Belkin powered USB hub and the iPad worked great with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

For those out there that want great qaulity recordings, invest in the Focusrite Scarlett series in general. The preamps alone will bring out the best of your signal. Considering the Scarlett has to have third party power supply, this tells you that the preamps are getting the right current to reach its potential. Other interfaces use batteries if the iPad does not provide power current. Batteries going dead means preamps suffer. I am not sure I'd iPad provides suffice power to prodice moral professional result. Idk.

Focusrite Scarlett is the best for iPad if you have a powered hub.
perczeval

Post by perczeval »

Hello Everyone!

I´ve successfully connected my 8i6 to my ipad using the cammera connection kit plus a cheap powered usb hub.

You NEED the usb hub, there's not another workaround.

Cheers!
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

aimsport wrote:I will give the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a try and report.

I will also contact Focusrite if it doesn't work and suggest they not ignore the iPad DAW market... Harmonicdog specifically.

Awooooooooooooo! Ruf. Ruf. Awoooooooooooooooooooooo!
Can anyone confirm that the 2i2 works with iPad 2?