Suggested new features.

New Features and requests for new features
jernatky

Suggested new features.

Post by jernatky »

First of all I would like to say I love the Multitrack DAW app! I am very satisfied with it over all. Just a couple of suggestions...

It would be so helpful to have the ability to bounce/export a song as an mp3 file. That way it would be acceptable to everyone and anyone I needed to send it too. The wav file is too big to email and ogg doesn't open in my email or on my ipad.

A reverb would be very cool also.

Other than this I think it is an exceptional app. I should also say that I knew about the compression choices before I bought it so I'm not complaining, just making a request.

Thank you for such a cool app.

Jernatky
pwnified

Re: Suggested new features.

Post by pwnified »

Yeah it's unfortunate about ogg not being well supported, because it's an opensource format and doesn't need licensing fees. It's also a superior format. Adding mp3 is like giving up, which is what most developers do, which explains why the format just wont die and nothing can replace it. The licensing cost of adding mp3 encoding is between 2.50 and 5.00 per unit. I'm really appalled by the mp3 format because of this. However just getting things done and the ability of sending mp3 to your friends is really what the customer is interested in and not the politics of greedy corporations.

It's possible to add mp3 encoding as an in-app purchase, and charge enough to cover the licensing fee. Is that something that a lot of people would like to do?
Rossf

Post by Rossf »

I think that sounds reasonable-a lot of people will find another way to encode wavs to mp3 on the computer if they don't want to buy the option. What about AAC,or is that still an mp3 type?
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

AAC would be fine instead of MP3 - most apps and devices support both these days.

OGG is just so poorly supported, it's not a format I (personally) would want to use.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, AAC is on the TODO list (before any mp3 solution)
alphadingo

Post by alphadingo »

It would be nice to have the option to buy the mp3 encoding but AAC will cover any exports to ipods which most people use.
entasmiquity

Post by entasmiquity »

AAC is a great next step, though I suspect I'd still like MP3. (I don't know offhand if Soundcloud supports AAC). I like your idea for in-app purchase of MP3 support to cover the license fee (and your time setting it up!). Then each user could decide.

I am very happy with MultiTrack and honestly think it is the paid app that has been most worth what I paid for it. Well done.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

AAC compression is now in version 2.0.8 (for 3GS or later), so it's easy to send full length mixes to other iphones. Still considering mp3, thanks all for the input.
Mr Smith

Post by Mr Smith »

Just purchased this for my iPhone 4S. Great app, thank you.

I want to put in a request for mp3 export as well (don't mind it as an in-app purchase), as I emailed a m4a mix to someone and they couldn't playback m4a files.

Thank you :-)
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Mp3 won't be added to multitrack unfortunately. They want 15000 per year for licensing fees, there is no way to make that back with an in app purchase. They are simply too greedy as they milk the cash cow while they still can.

There are some online encoding services which might work, not sure on their legality but it might be possible to upload the entire wav to a server, where it encodes the mp3 and gives you a link back to the file. TwistedWave does this. I'll look into it.