IOS6 and iPhone 5

New Features and requests for new features
anfirmor

Re: IOS6 and iPhone 5

Post by anfirmor »

I'm not surprised the cck got rejected. I've prodded around a cck pcb With an oscilloscope and the only clever bit in it is the chip that identifies the device to the iOS. Something akin to this

Hello what's just been plugged in

It's me a cck

Go away you can't have the port

The USB pins are just straight through so the only purpose of the chip is so Apple can lock out stuff that isn't part of the "made for apple" third party manufacturers program. Guess what. They take a big bite out of the third parties backside for this licensing crap. It forces prices high and, more importantly, stops us being creative due to poor device options. Yes Apple, like in the Shawshwnk Redemtion, get kickbacks on their kickbacks. All legally of course.

I didn't know there was a cck hack. I've never jail broken an iPhone but having tried ios6 and immediately downgraded to ios5.1.1 may give it a go on my 4s. I won't ask for links or guides here because we don't want the Apple Inquisition to start coming down on pwnified.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Well I have installed cameraconnector 0.0.2-1 and it works very nicely on my 4S running iOS 5.1.1.

Tried a Samson Go Mic and a Behringer Guitar USB thingy (UGC102) and both work fine. Interestingly the Behringer Clone is actually stereo in/out (it's based on a Texas a instruments audio codec). The input side is ok but the output channels are not filtered so there's a lot of DAC noise on the test sine waves. Not that you would notice the HF with phones but I wouldn't recommend the output got HiFi.

Anyway, the point is that for about £3 for a CCK clone and About £7 for the Behringer guitar USB clone you've got the stereo audio in/out sorted, if you are willing to do it that is.

Tomorrow at work I'll be bodging a direct monitor pot into the Behringer just for the hell of it. Lash up works fine and lovely latency free monitoring.

I'll keep my Tascam IM2 though as it sounds very nice indeed, better than the Go Mic which is a tad noisy and lacks a bit in comparison.
malagodi

Post by malagodi »

So anybody have any luck getting audio (2 channels) into the Iphone 5? The new CCK is rejecting my Sound Devices unit that works great on the Ipad 3 (30 pin).
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

I doubt if you will get an iPhone 5 to accept a CCK while it's "incarcerated", if you catch my drift. Apple don't allow it's use on iPhone, just iPad. That's why I've resisted ios6 on my 4s and also why my lust for an iPhone 5 was quenched too. One day Apple might relent but I doubt it.

You'll probably have to get another official adapter like a Line 6 Mobile In or atascadero IM2.