IOS6 and iPhone 5

New Features and requests for new features
anfirmor

IOS6 and iPhone 5

Post by anfirmor »

IOS6 is about to be revealed to the apple congregation. Should we be excited about any features that will aid the musicians amongst the flock (audiobus?, release of CCK for iPhone) or will it add more restrictions and apple tyranny, such as the evil "handshaking" chip fitted in digital dock connecting accessories.

iPhone 5. I'm a sucker for new toys but will it improve our lot. That teeny weeny lightning dock connector must have pissed off Apogee, Line6, Tascam, Alesis etc. so not even analogue out of that sucker. More control?

I dearly want to believe the surmon but the devil is in the details. Hmmm, surmon, congregation, apple? No stop!

Any thoughts?
CougarFool

Re: IOS6 and iPhone 5

Post by CougarFool »

I will be sticking with my iPad2 and my iPod Touch 4 until they either break or things like MT DAW stop working on them!

(But I would love an iPhone 5!)
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Well ios6 installed on my 4s. What a flat, ugly front end. Like a corporate power point presentation. Hope the promise of more audio grunt is worth it.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Well, they have a ten dollar adapter to make it work with the old dock connector devices. But yeah, it's another round of obsolete hardware, all in the name of progress. An iPhone CCK would be very sweet, but there is no reason to believe apple is going to release one yet. But the thing is much faster, with 4 cores and that's all I really care about :D
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

UPDATE: It looks like a 29 dollar connector:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823 ... r?fnode=45

However, there is some enticing information mentioned by Apple on that page:
This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.
By them mentioning USB Audio, they might be talking about the Camera Connector Kit. They could also just be talking about iPhone 4 type 30-pin audio devices (which actually use USB).
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Quad Core? Will that be of significant benefit if audiobus or inter app audio materialise? I'm tempted but it would be great if Apple just allowed USB devices on the dock connector as you hinted. Then I would dive in but at uk prices that equate to about $970 for a 32gig model and $40 for the dock adapter I'd quite like it if it made me a cup of tea in the morning too!

Gear lust is a terrible affliction.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Actually it's not 4 cores, that information turned out to be rumor. It's a dual core A6 of Apples own design and claims a 2 times speedup over the iPhone 4S. There are also 3 GPU cores. Apps will have to be recompiled to take get the most benefit, but these cores still run arm7 code for compatibility.

More cpu means more apps running simultaneously in the background. Audiobus will see a definite improvement, as the number of ports and effects in the chain can be increased. :D
Jeer

Post by Jeer »

Does the cck work with IOS6 on Iphone4 ? I really hesitate to upgrade.

I currently using it with a jailbreak hack ( CameraConnector 0.0.2-1). I didn't install any other jailbreak app ( except a Terminal app ). Tested with Multitrack Daw, a Blue Yeti Microphone (+ a Belkin hub ), a Berhinger UCG102 ( pcm2902, no hub required ), a Akai EIE ( 4 channels hélas only 44,1khz, with power supply ).
The CameraConnector 0.0.2-1 is much more stable than the previous version, you still need to reboot the device from time to time ( it has a WindowsTM flavour ;) ). But once it work, I can listen and record 48khz audio for hours. 8-)
It open quite a few perspectives ! And Support for Mass Storage is coming soon !

Not sure Apple will make this possible for iphone 4 users ? Maybe
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

CameraConnector 0.0.2-1, what a crazy thing!
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

Just received a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter from Apple. Initial test results are a bit disappointing, sorry to say.

The only audio input devices I was able to get working were the Apogee Jam and the Tascam iM2, both of which already worked with the 4S running earlier versions of iOS. The CCK immediately gives the "Accessory not Supported" error even if nothing is plugged into it.

I have an older iHome alarm clock/dock, and surprisingly that works fine, both for charging and for playing music.

I was also using the CameraConnector hack on my iPhone 4S, which let me use most of my audio input devices with the CCK. I guess we'll have to wait for a jailbreak for iPhone 5. :(