FR impulse/response convolution reverb support.

New Features and requests for new features
martygras

FR impulse/response convolution reverb support.

Post by martygras »

As good as the reverb in MutliTrack DAW is, I miss being able to use impulse response convolution reverbs as I use in Reaper.

For those of you who don't know what a convolution reverb is, here's the wiki definition:
In audio signal processing, convolution reverb is a process used for digitally simulating the reverberation of a physical or virtual space. It is based on the mathematical convolution operation, and uses a pre-recorded audio sample of the impulse response of the space being modeled. To apply the reverberation effect, the impulse-response recording is first stored in a digital signal-processing system. This is then convolved with the incoming audio signal to be processed. The process of convolution multiplies each sample of the audio to be processed (reverberated) with the samples in the impulse response file.

IMO, this is the best way to achieve a natural sounding, and very realistic spacial environment for acoustic instruments. Any instruments actually, but I've used I/R's for orchestral sample libraries such as Garritan's Personal Orchestra 4 and World instruments with amazingly natural ambience.

I have hundreds of I/R files that allow me to put an instrument in any space from an actual cathedral in Rome to a small metal bucket. Especially important if you are recording acoustically in a room that has terrible acoustics or is acoustically dead.

I noticed that this feature is provided in Auria which sounds like a wonderful DAW, but I've already invested too much money and time here to give up on MultiTrack DAW. I just love this DAW and thank Pwnified for developing it.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
pwnified

Re: FR impulse/response convolution reverb support.

Post by pwnified »

Convolution reverb. I'll look into it and see if there are some good optimization strategies. Thanks for the feature request!