Bluetooth? AirPlay?

New Features and requests for new features
tob

Bluetooth? AirPlay?

Post by tob »

Just thinking out loud... Would love to be able to wireless listen through my headphones for a variety of reasons. Not sure what's involved for that... But it's a feature that would help me. Lovin the app... Despite any updates... I still think its hands down the best! Thanks for making it SO ROCK SOLID and stable!
martygras

Re: Bluetooth? AirPlay?

Post by martygras »

Agreed.
Unfortunately there's a significant delay when using Bluetooth for wireless audio, but it works pretty good for non time critical operations.
I would like to see support for using a Bluetooth keypad for hotkeys, macros, start/stop, etc.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Bluetooth audio is very compressed, making it a poor choice for any kind of audio mixing.

Dominic
martygras

Post by martygras »

dominicperry wrote:Bluetooth audio is very compressed, making it a poor choice for any kind of audio mixing.

Dominic
That's good to know. I've had people tell me that the sound is fine, but they are not audiophiles. I am perhaps a bit more picky about headphones. Thanks Dominic.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Later versions of Bluetooth have plenty of bandwidth, but the choice of codec at the sending and receiving device is up to the hardware manufacturer and software writers. It's perfectly feasible to get good quality audio from current BT hardware and existing recent codecs, but generally they are not implemented. And good luck with finding out exactly what spec you're buying, both from Apple, the software writer and the speaker/headphone manufacturer.

Also, delay between sender and receiver would make precise mix adjustments pretty difficult - you'd have to rely on automation a lot, all your realtime mutes, fades etc would be late. It's not a good option at the moment, and it's probably a bit of a CPU overhead given that it's both compression and comms.

Dominic