Some Recommended

New Features and requests for new features
Infa Red

Some Recommended

Post by Infa Red »

Hey, awesome app ! As a professional studio owner, engineer, songwriter, producer, performer etc.. I want to let you know I am very impressed so far with this app. I have all the big high end professional gear, but at times, I like to get my ideas out either on the road, or quickly while laying down watching tv or something and don't want to wait to run to my studio, power everything on, etc.. So coming from a head in the professional industry, I'm letting you know, this is a great app.

Also, just wanted to explain so you know my opinion(s) are coming from someone who uses million dollar equipment daily, not just coming from someone who needs to use this app out of budget restraints, etc.. (not like it matters, but just sayin).

That said, its great how this app didn't even have a learning curve at all ! You designed it perfectly to "make sense" from the get go. You might be surprised to know that as obvious as that seems to design something that way, MANY developers don't, and they accidently create some convoluted, idiotic UI with their own made up language of terms and layout that no one gets - lol... YOU my friend have designed something that speaks my language from jump street.

With all that though, I'd like to give some humble opinions that would really help my pre-pro workflow with this app, as its so surprisingly good (and caused some really awesome takes to come out of me) that I'm thinking of keeping some of the tracks I laid in this app for permanent use in real deal songs once imported over to the real studio computer, etc.. So thats why these features would be great. (In no particular importance order)

1 - Organization of the Tracks (not the audio, but the actual track itself's order/line up). Tap and hold on a track and have the ability to slide it up or down in the line up of other tracks. To save space in the hotbox (for all other new features), this track organization could be only accessed if you tap and hold on the "Meter" area of a track. Instead of the hotbox popping up (cause its so accessible anywhere else in the tracks space) the track will highlight, and allow movement up or down. Another tap will unhighlight the track and moving it is not possible again. (Being able to highlight a track will open new options for new features). See below. Also, be able to highlight multiple/several tracks and then move them together up or down in the track line up.

2 - In conjunction with #1, the ability when creating a new track to choose where it goes in the line up of other tracks. This is simply done by highlighting a track, and when you choose to create a new track it will be created underneath the highlighted track.

3 - "Group Tracks", Be able to highlight multiple tracks and create a "group". When tracks are "grouped" whatever you do to one track does to all. This is great once you got say a 8 track chorus laid with harmonies, etc.. you got it all perfectly mixed, but then realize its too loud or low a touch, BUT need to keep each track of the chorus in the same volume ratio to each other. Instead of having to go in and adjust each track up or down the equivalent amount of db's, you can have your chorus "grouped" and just adjust one track's volume and they all will move the same. This grouping will act like this with anything, editing, moving, pans, etc.. Also, obviously be able to name each group.

4 - Move audio from track to track without needing to copy and paste. Simply, when you "edit" the track and are "moving" it I'd like the ability to simply move it up or down to another track as well, opposed to only being able to move it side to side in the current/same track. This would work also for ALL regions in all tracks you have selected. Also would work with groups, but then obviously you'd only need to grab one of the regions in said group.

5 - "Consolidate Selections" - Ability to turn all slices, edits, fades, etc.. of a section(s) of your audio and turn it into 1 region (consolidated) with all that info (fades, slices, edits, etc..) permanently in the new 1 region. This makes it sooooo much easier to copy lets say a chorus (that you edited to high hell, spliced it a million times, took out dead areas, made fades, moved words onto beat, etc..) and paste it several times throughout the rest of the song WITHOUT having to always pick/tap on every section/small region of the area you want to copy and paste multiple times throughout the song. (to me, this feature is a must).

6 - AUTOMATION ! lol, Please ( another must). Automation of Volumes, Pans, Efx send, AND Efx on/off per track. If you do make this a feature, and make "group tracks" feature, make sure making a track part of a "group" would not interfere with its independent automation either. ALSO don't forget the Master Fader. It needs automation for awesome end of song fade outs to be created. Or crazy techno panning tricks. Etc..

7 - LOTS MORE package upgrades of Efx.. need more. This could be ur cash cow. I'd buy them all. A more elaborate EQ would help for starters. 7 band eq.

8 - Another upgrade for more tracks ??

9 - Tap Tempo

10 - Color Code tracks

11 - Zoom not only side to side, but allow for a height zoom (make track taller while editing)

12 - "Markers" - Be able to create "ID's/Marker Points" anywhere in the song to identify "Chorus", "Break", "Verse 1", etc... These are user nameable to anything we want and can be created anywhere we want AND able to be unlocked and moved to another place or also totally removed. To totally be efficient it would need its own little window. Maybe only accessible from the tempo/bar/time thing. It will now have another choice in it called "Markers", here you can not only create them, but your saved marker points will pop up in a separate window and allow you to tap on one and it will instantly take the timeline thing there. Etc, you get the idea..

13 - A setting that allows me to choose if the timeline thing starts from the point where it left off at when you last stopped, OR from the same starting point you last started it from (this is a must too.. too much to explain why though, but trust me with real workflow, its a must).

14 - "Loop Record" - You already have this sorta, but it needs a setting to choose if you want it like it is, where it will record you only once, but keep looping (you have to rehit the record button again if you want to record over what you did). OR the other setting would be to have it just keep recording till you stop it or hit the record button again to stop recording and actually save the take. A very helpful feature. Another sub setting choice within that one could be "Destructive" (to save space) or "Non-Destructive". The whole point to this feature is, you know to stop it once you want to keep that take, till then, you know the others are garbage and you want them gone while you try again without needing to hit any buttons.

15 - The "Snap" feature needs a little work along with giving us (the users) a full understanding of the resolution (PPQ) of the recorder/sequencer/daw. For instance, when in "Snap" mode, is it just snapping to random places within the measure one of always being the "one" ? Or is it snapping to a extremely fine grid all technically on some sort of beat ? If so, what resolution ? 96 PPQ ? 9,600 PPQ ? What ? Maybe a setting within the snap mode would be cool ? To choose 4ths or 8ths or 16ths or 32nds or 64ths or triplets of each that would be my "Snap to" resolution. Cause now, if zoomed all the way in, it seems to not really follow any rhyme or reason as far as what each grid line is. If I knew the resolution and within that resolution where I was, that would help. Also a choice like described above within that resolution. Now it seems like snap isn't too definitive (unless on the "one"). In addition to this but same field, it would be nice if while moving regions, a little window popped up and told/showed me exactly where the beginning of my region is in the resolution grid... (01/01/048, 01/01/047, 01/01/046...etc. as I move it)

16 - "Crossfades" - Self explanatory really. Just add "crossfade" to the option of fades I can do. Instead of fade all the way in to all the way out or all the way out to all the way in with its various lengths creating various slopes, add cross fade to do a smooth cross fade to said section/splice points. Same thing as with other fades, cross fade could be adjusted by dragging it longer or shorter.

17 - Folders to name (color too if desired) that hold our songs and a way to organize them songs from folder to folder in any fashion we please. And of course choose folder destination (if applicable) upon a new song creation.

18 - Save Efx settings. Self explanatory.

19 - This maybe way too hard, or maybe to introduce a "Pro" version of your App, but would it be possible to allow the use of Plug Ins ? Maybe even invent your own if need be (another cash cow)... Or if not, then allow this app to utilize VST or Audio Unit Plug Ins... I need Auto Tune !! I can't sing that good. But need what I wrote presented decent for the singers. Auto Tune helps me with that massively. Plus a bunch of VI's would be awesome.

(edited = added):

20 - Lock/Unlock Regions - So you can't accidently move or edit a region if you didn't mean to while moving or editing other regions.

21 - Copy Efx Settings / then Paste Efx Settings

I'll add to this as I use it more, for now this is what I noticed off the bat compared to my usual workflow -

Thanks for your consideration
martygras

Re: Some Recommended

Post by martygras »

Agreed!

I believe you are looking for Auria.
It has the exact feature set you describe above. ...and more.

MT DAW seems to have a "keep it simple" attitude to the point of excluding standard DAW features. For many users, it has everything they might need for editing podcasts or simple garage level recordings.
For me its strength is in tracking. Pwnified uses an algorithm of his own design for recording large track counts simultaneously, cleanly and glitch free. Not all DAWs can say that.
i.e. it works great for recording a live band where you just need to slice and trim up ends of songs and add a bit of eq, compression or verb.

MT DAW is vanilla, but it's really good vanilla. But NO TOPPINGS.

Yes, Pwnified is working on bug fixes and implementing iOS 7 compatibility, (has been for months), but we have no idea what features are in the queue for implementation. Or when its proposed submission date to Apple will be.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
Infa Red

Post by Infa Red »

martygras wrote:Agreed!

I believe you are looking for Auria.
It has the exact feature set you describe above. ...and more.

MT DAW seems to have a "keep it simple" attitude to the point of excluding standard DAW features. For many users, it has everything they might need for editing podcasts or simple garage level recordings.
For me its strength is in tracking. Pwnified uses an algorithm of his own design for recording large track counts simultaneously, cleanly and glitch free. Not all DAWs can say that.
i.e. it works great for recording a live band where you just need to slice and trim up ends of songs and add a bit of eq, compression or verb.

MT DAW is vanilla, but it's really good vanilla. But NO TOPPINGS.

Yes, Pwnified is working on bug fixes and implementing iOS 7 compatibility, (has been for months), but we have no idea what features are in the queue for implementation. Or when its proposed submission date to Apple will be.
Hey martygras, and thanks for chiming in with your info and input ! Yea, I really can't wait to get Auria, it looks great, but at the moment I only have a iPhone for my small time gear. No iPad as I am waiting for the new ones to drop before I get one. The moment that happens I'll definitely be grabbing Auria to try it out.

The thing is, is, like you said, I really like MTDAW. Its so smooth and great sounding for what it is. And I am afraid Auria (or any others) wont be that. But I don't want to judge them ahead of time. That said, I still want the absolute best one that will run on a Phone. As sometimes phones are still more accessible than a iPad or Laptop, etc..

Them are the reasons I decided to recommend some possible feature updates. By all means I know I listed way too many, but I did that so hopefully he could see them all and pick the easiest ones to implicate. Or, like Auria, offer a "Pro" version of MTDAW that offers every feature possible that we all ask for. With iPhone 5's new processor, it should be possible. ??maybe?? lol

In any case I couldn't agree more with the "between the lines" moral to your post = Keep MTDAW streamline and NOT a "bloated" program that ends up running glitchy and less than optimal. With that said, I do believe there are choices of safe growth. Also, cause I like his design, algorithms and attention to detail so well, I would like MTDAW MAYBE get a pro version that only runs on iPad (like Auria) due to processor power needed for what it will do. Then I don't need to even get Auria and I can have MTDAW on all my iDevices for a workflow I like that translates to each device seemlessly.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Good points. Yes I love the portability of MT DAW on the iPhone. I've heard some nice acoustic guitar tracks using only the iPhone mic.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.