Feature Requests and Ideas

New Features and requests for new features
grunshaw

Feature Requests and Ideas

Post by grunshaw »

Hey everyone,

I have some ideas and feature requests I would like to share with you all.

1. Multi-iPad (device) control
Because of limitations, only one audio interface is supported. In my case, I want to record more than 8 tracks at once, which is not possible. I was theorizing on how to accomplish this, and so far, the only option I have come up with is two iPads with two devices. Now, this presents all kinds of problems, the biggest being how can you start and stop recording at the EXACT same time. In the setup I was thinking of, you would have one iPad as a "master" and one as a "slave". So controlling the master, would impact the slave. The other option is some hardware surface controller that when you push the record button, it triggers both iPads to start recording at the same time. Then, it would be a simple matter of transferring tracks from one to the other to master them.

2. Multi Audio Device Support
Of course, a way to combat the above scenario would be to somehow allow for more than one audio device to be connected to the iPad by a powered (or non-powered) USB hub. Ideally, I would like to record 12 - 16 tracks simultaneously. I don't know how viable this option is, because of dta-thruput and the speed of the USB interface.

3. Copying multiple tracks simultaneously to a new file
I record a long worship service, about an hour. Of this hour, about 25 minutes of it is music from our praise team. Usually, we have a song, announcements, 3 songs, offering, prayer and praise requests, another song, sermon and finish on a song. So, the way I do this is to edit down the recording by splitting the tracks at the beginning and end of each song, then removing the fluff in between. I then create a new song for each individual song performed by the praise team. I then like to copy each trackfrom the original recording to it's own track in the song. I noticed when I selected all the tracks and then copy them, then paste them to a new song, it pastes it all onto one track. That presents a problem for me since I want to apply compression, reverb and alter the different track volumes for different instruments and vocals. It requires me to go in and out of both copying and pasting, so it takes me 4 times longer (because there are 4 tracks, soon to be 8 when I upgrade to the Scarlet 18i6) as long as it should since I could be presented with an option to do it in one swoop.

4. Lock controls in place
When fine tweaking a song using the track volume and pan controls, I like to make small adjustments, see how they sound then adjust them again until I have it exactly as I want. The only thing is, after a few short seconds, the large controls disappear. It would be nice to be able to lock the large controls on screen when desired, or even the idea suggested below.

5. Track Mixer
An awesome idea would be to be able to open a track mixer. It would present large vertical sliders, the number of which on screen should be determined by how many tracks there are, with a large pan control above each slider. It would resemble the look of a mixing desk.

6. Color coding
I'd like to color code tracks for quick reference. For example, a popup color pallet would let you pick the color of the waveform or even the background color. It would be a great way to quickly identify things. Track 1 = Green, Track 2 = Yellow, Track 3 = Blue, Track 4 = Orange, etc etc etc

7. List view
An option to view your songs in list view with a larger font rather than icons would be awesome

8. Paste at marker location
Sometimes I cut a track and copy it to another track, but it doesn't paste at the marker location where it was cut. I then find it very difficult to re-align the track to it's original position.

9. One track view for close editing
It would be awesome if we could double tap on a waveform / track to open it in a full screen view so we can do more precise editing

Let me just be clear, some of these ideas are probably knit picking, for which I apologize. But, I want to point out that I chose this software over buying a new Windows Tablet and using software such as MixPad, because I felt that the iPad and MT was a much better option. Let me say that I was right. I love the software and will continue to use and recommend it.

I am more than happy to lend a hand to beta testing or anything like that. Audio and recording is my life and I love it. Anything I can do to help! :)

Keep up the good work.
martygras

Re: Feature Requests and Ideas

Post by martygras »

Apogee has some very nice interfaces with more than 8 inputs that work with iPads, so you can record more than 8 tracks at once.
It can be resource hungry so I recommend an iPad 4 or Air to handle that many tracks. An iPhone 5 should also work with some of these interfaces.

You can find a list of audio interfaces that have been tested on Apple devices successfully over at the Auria, (Wavemachinelabs) site.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.