Desparately need track annotating

New Features and requests for new features
Uberman

Desparately need track annotating

Post by Uberman »

In my App Store review of MultiTrack DAW I've asked for this feature, and I've noticed that it's something that many reviews of the app mention as needed as well. I love the app, but the lack of this feature is causing me to start evaluating alternatives. I'd happily pay an update fee for this feature.

I read in another post that a target date for the long-overdue update was early March (which has come and gone). I'd like to know if track annotation is coming in the update, and if so, is there a new target date? I need to know if I should wait, or move on.
Uberman

Re: Desparately need track annotating

Post by Uberman »

I see you released the 3.4 update yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, no track annotations.

If that's truly the case, needless to say, I'm disappointed. I think this great piece of software is marred by this lack. Unfortunately, I can't wait another year for an update that may or may not bring this feature. Guess I'll look for it elsewhere.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Sorry Uberman, it's been so hectic. Track annotations are not part of the update. I'll have a think about this in a bit, but I'm not really sure what exactly this means (as far as where/how they would be displayed). MultiTrack is a minimalist app, so if it can be done without clutter, it might make it in as a feature. But first I'd have to understand exactly what your mean. Is there an example you can point to?
nwinkler

Post by nwinkler »

I second this request - being able to annotate a track would be a great feature. Some examples that I would like to keep with each track:
  • The guitar I used on the track
  • The pickup, volume and tone settings on the guitar
  • Amp preset in JamUp Pro
  • Which drum track/pattern
  • Basic chord structure of the track
At the moment, I keep these things in Evernote with a reference to the track (by name). Having all inside of MT would remove the disconnect.

One place where these notes could be accessed is when editing the track name. Instead of just the name field, provide two fields, one for the name (single line), and below a larger field for track notes.
martygras

Post by martygras »

To help out in the meantime I'll offer my workaround. (I also do this when using other DAWs.)
I do most of my track notes on white, lined, paper and then take a snapshot using a scanner app like Scanner Pro. It works fairly well except that I end up rewriting some notes and end up with a history of scans which can get confusing on large projects.
Speaking of snapshots, I will often take screen caps of my effects settings etc. for reference on other projects.

I also use my old 1st gen iPad just for notes when I have access to a Bluetooth keyboard. I share it with my son and he's always using it.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Another workaround would be to use an empty track to record auditory notes. Obviously they would not be written, but they would give you the info associated with the song inside the song. You could also record them in the correct time: setup info for the chorus at the beginning of the chorus, etc. I'd also enjoy track annotating, too, if it could be implemented without clutter. Good luck!