Anazing app, so what's next

New Features and requests for new features
project52

Re: Anazing app, so what's next

Post by project52 »

Hi there. Congratultions on what appears to be a great start on a great app. I'm particularly impressed with the standard features that are requisite to a DAW, input monitoring and input gain in particular.

My top-of-list feature would be far and above a built in metronome. It doesn't have to be fancy, just accurate. My current experience has been with using the 4-track app, which I've been mostly satisfied with, but when dropping tracks onto my DAW (Reaper), I've had to adjust the beat rate by a hair to get it roughly aligned. I track my own live drums, so the metronome is a must.

I haven't purchased this app yet, but I likely will, esp. if you can promise that a metronome is forthcoming. Once I start using it, i'd be happy to promote it on my blog, Project 52, my attempt to record and release a new song every week for a year. Please visit and give a listen. I just posted week 4, so 48 songs left to go. On week 2 you can read about the custom Mogami mic/headphone adapter that I had made for the iPhone. My blog is at http://www.developermusic.com/blog
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

project52 wrote:On week 2 you can read about the custom Mogami mic/headphone adapter that I had made for the iPhone. My blog is at http://www.developermusic.com/blog
Thanks for the heads up on this cable! Another one was floating the Internet blogs, but DYI that I did not want to have to fiddle with. I just put in an order with them.
project52

Post by project52 »

No sweat. It's been great so far. I had no interest in a DIY cable for this type of application. I lucked across that website and kind of figured they would blow my request off. They posted the cable the next day.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

project52 wrote:No sweat. It's been great so far. I had no interest in a DIY cable for this type of application. I lucked across that website and kind of figured they would blow my request off. They posted the cable the next day.
I especially like track 4, sounds great! Good find on that cable also, but if it's just a straight cable you might have problems getting the iPhone to select it as an input source depending on the impedance of the input you try to connect. I tried a 1k resistor across the mic input to act as a load, which drops the bias voltage (which is used to power condenser mics). But too low of an impedance will trigger the iPod switch, which will start up the iPod (you don't want that!)

It works, but in the end I just use the apple headset and various dock connector microphones. I'm writing up a doc that outlines a bunch of input options.

Re the metronome. It would be pretty easy to whip one up. One thing you could do is use one of the tracks (you get 16 so it shouldn't be a big sacrafice ;-) and upload a click track, or basic drumbeat of the tempo of your choosing, and then just mute it or overwrite it with the final drums once the song idea is solidified.

Thanks for your interest in MultiTrack.
anthony

Post by anthony »

hello again and thank you for your feedback. What is especially useful is to have contact with the programmer, which ain't gonna happen with Rectools!

I have now bought the program, and will be checking it out later this week - I already have a suggestion, which I think would be simple to implement, and have never seen even on full-blown apps like Logic or Garage band. Is it possible to have a 'notes' section (expandable), where the user can make some kind of annotation about a track, instrument setting, or anything in particular?

Cheers and keep up the good work!!

Anthony
PalmSounds

Post by PalmSounds »

Yeah, that's a good idea. I like the notes idea per track.
Palm Sounds
The home of mobile music making
http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

pwnified wrote:
project52 wrote:I'm writing up a doc that outlines a bunch of input options.
As always, thanks for your efforts to assist new users. I am betting that will prove quite helpful.
MusicMagic

Re: Expectations for a "16 track" anything

Post by MusicMagic »

MusicMagic wrote:. . . think about having a "sale" on the app to bump its sales numbers and get the app into the hands of lots of users to get your reviews accumulating.
I see now that Rectools08 has bumped back up to $17.99, so my point in my earlier post is now moot. I still think an "October Sale Month" would be a good marketing ploy to boost your initial unit numbers, as well as encouraging more users and bringing in more reviews.

Cheers!
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

anthony wrote:Is it possible to have a 'notes' section (expandable), where the user can make some kind of annotation about a track, instrument setting, or anything in particular?
I agree, Anthony. Actually a nice suggestion--very pragmatic. Would function like all those Post-It notes stuck on the surface of a multitrack during a session.
project52

Post by project52 »

Hi again,

So I purchased the app and am really happy with it. I think you've put together a really nice package and I look forward to using it on upcoming songs. I'm still really banking on a metronome coming soon to make this my go-to app (if I go through the time to add in click tracks, etc, it's kind of defeated my purposes for recording to the iPhone - at that point I can just jump onto my laptop), but I have another item to add to the request list that might logically go hand in hand (though I have no idea what kind of programing challenge that this presents): time code/counter. At least for me, that's the kind of basic tool that you would have on an analog multitrack.

Thanks again for listening to suggestions.