Version 1.1 of MultiTrack

New Features and requests for new features
pwnified

Re: Version 1.1 of MultiTrack

Post by pwnified »

Version 1.1 should now be available on the app store!
project52

Post by project52 »

Just cut my first track with it. Used the metronome flawlessly. This is fantastic! I'll post more soon. Now to test the stereo recording with Blue Mikey.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

Just got 1.1. It is truly awesome! All new features are must haves for serious recording, and MultiTrack is really getting there.

Of course every new release comes with new ideas...

I found setting the punch points somewhat difficult - the time cursor and punch points can get hard to find. Then you have to move the cursor and punch points in two separate operations, back to the point where the error was discovered.

Consider this use case:
1. user is playing back a song
2. part way through the song they notice a mistake in the guitar track (track 5)
3. user taps the time ruler close to, but somewhat before the place where the mistake occurred. This positions the time cursor at that point in the time ruler
4. user presses menu and selects punch recording (and auto input)
5. user double taps the time ruler, again close to where the error occurs setting the punch start and end points at that point in the time ruler.
6. user presses play and adjusts the punch start and end points to precisely bracket the error
7. user adjusts time cursor to a convenient starting point before the punch start (if the current point is too close)
8. user presses play to rehearse the fix, playback starts at the time cursor.
9. satisfied, user arms the offending track, presses record, then play to punch in the correct material

Auto input should probably be the default. Its almost always necessary to sync up with the recorded material before the punch area is reached.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Hi jamsden,

it's an interesting idea to use the ruler for bringing in the markers, although I've never been a fan of the 'double tap' methodology. I was considering some way of drawing the initial punch region (touch,drag,release) in the ruler, but time got the best of me. For sure, the next update will feature some way of using the ruler.

I've just make auto input the default for the next version.

Thanks for the usage case, it gives a crystal clear picture.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

Any UI for setting the punch in/out points is fine (I don't call these markers because markers are generally used to mark and label points in the project). I was trying to distinguish setting the time cursor (single tap) from setting the punch in/out (double tap) just in case you wanted to leave them where they were as is currently done.

Touch, drag, release as is done for iPhone copy would be fine too, assuming you can reset them without having to find and move the existing punch points. This might require the ruler to be a little larger though.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I've just had a few minutes with 1.1. All I can say is OH YEAH! My new year's resolution is to record something on a professional release with Multitrack. Maybe something like this year's Grammy nominated Bluegrass album of the year. 2010 is a lookin' good. Happy new year to all!
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

Yes, a great release. It really made my day to see it pop up on my iPhone App update page. I know we all have a tendency to say, "yes, yes, great release but you really need to start working on X, Y and Z." I will fight the urge and just say "thank you" for a job well done. Take New Year's Eve off for sure to celebrate your 2009 accomplishments. Of course, January 1, back to coding..... (Just imagine a year from now with version 2.5 or so running on an Apple tablet with a 10 inch screen, working the faders as you mix down a song.)

BTW, is anyone interested in doing a MultiTrack collaboration? Now that we have a metronome and bpm, things become much easier for collaboration. For example, I could post a song on SoundCloud or my MobileMe account, you could grab it, load it in the app, add a track or two, email or upload the tracks to me. I remix, upload again, and have someone else add something? Might be kind of cool. Kind of a progressive dinner full of surprises.

Fred

my blog on iPhone recording: http://fredgrittner.com/blog
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thanks everyone for checking out the new version.

So, I discovered a bug in the track delete system, when deleting a track and then immediately closing the song and then uploading a new track of shorter length to replace the old track. Sometimes the track wouldn't get fully deleted in the cache and part of the track would still sound. I have already uploaded a new binary (1.1.1) to the iTunes store and am happy to report that Apple has already approved the new version in record time (less than 12 hours!) and should be available as an update right now. Just let the app update to 1.1.1 and all should be well.

Thanks again for all your support and suggestions.
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

pwnified wrote: I have already uploaded a new binary (1.1.1) to the iTunes store and am happy to report that Apple has already approved the new version in record time (less than 12 hours!) and should be available as an update right now. Just let the app update to 1.1.1 and all should be well.
Good golly, Ms. Molly. I was getting ready to report this bug to you tonight, and I login just to check the posts, and you've not only corrected the bugger, Apple has posted the update!! Incredible attention to app dev. I am still foundering for words to express appreciation for this kind of zippy response. You have to be even more obsessive compulsive than I am! :lol: