MIDI Support

New Features and requests for new features
Ringleader42

Re: MIDI Support

Post by Ringleader42 »

So now that we have Audiobus, any chance of adding a MIDI sync option? Some of the other apps that are compatible with Audiobus have it, and it would be very cool to link Loopy HD and Multitrack DAW tempos together!
martygras

Post by martygras »

Responding to MIDI start/stop/rec etc. would be nice as well.
There... I tossed my hat in too.

I love DAW as it is for the way I use it, but adding some of these requests would greatly add to use with external gear and other apps.

I have an Oxygen8 keyboard that would be able to send midi commands. This might even allow for some limited automation which several users have talked about. Some people would even say automation is about all DAW needs to add at this point.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
Bendy

Post by Bendy »

I would love the MIDI addition

I don't need the virtual instruments or drum machines thanks to the awesome audiobus

But the start stop and midi sync would be fantastic for time syncing other apps.

How about an update here for you loyal and loving customers?

This thread has been around for quite a while
mickglossop@mac.com

Post by mickglossop@mac.com »

Yes it would be very good to have MIDI sync in, to Slave the DAW to ext MIDI clock.

It also needs MIDI clock out to slave other iPad MIDI devices to DAW.

Now that we have Audiobus it makes real sense to be able to sync MIDI between iPad apps.
Bendy

Post by Bendy »

I would add my support to the limited midi just for start stop and tempo sync needs

Now that we have multitrack daw and audio bus it is the missing link.

The drum machine and virtual instruments would be a nice but not really needed is the midi clock stuff was implemented

Any news guys?
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I'm all for a basic implementation of MIDI clock and associated System Realtime messages (Start, Stop, Continue) but I would also add SPP (Song Position Pointer). SPP allows MIDI generators (sequencers, arpeggiators, etc..) to stay in sync even if starting midway through a song (if these apps implement SPP properly, of course). A more comprehensive sync mode would be MTC (MIDI Time Code) but it's way too early and practically irrelevant at this point in time for iOS MIDI.

I'd like to see scenarios where MD emits MIDI clock and associated commands to say Genome sequencer which then drives any number of synths and drum machines for recording in MD through Audiobus.

Unless Harmonic Dog has plans to integrate a large scale implementation of MIDI recording (which is no small undertaking!), I'd be more than satisfied to see a solid implementation of relevant System Common and System Realtime MIDI messages. :D
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

mickglossop@mac.com wrote:Yes it would be very good to have MIDI sync in, to Slave the DAW to ext MIDI clock.
Personally I don't think that's the way to go at all. Syncing an audio DAW to an external clock is no small feat and will require an enormous amount of CPU to handle the audio sample rate conversions. It makes a lot more sense to sync external MIDI devices to the DAW, especially in a RAM and CPU-starved environment like the iOS devices. I think that's a lot more realistic. ;)
martygras

Post by martygras »

Zoomer wrote:
mickglossop@mac.com wrote:Yes it would be very good to have MIDI sync in, to Slave the DAW to ext MIDI clock.
Personally I don't think that's the way to go at all. Syncing an audio DAW to an external clock is no small feat and will require an enormous amount of CPU to handle the audio sample rate conversions. It makes a lot more sense to sync external MIDI devices to the DAW, especially in a RAM and CPU-starved environment like the iOS devices. I think that's a lot more realistic. ;)
If what you are saying is that DAW would be the master, then I agree totally.
+1 on SPP as well.

Perhaps Pwnified could start a feature request category here at the forum. :)
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard »

Just adding my emphatic vote for precise clock sync, in and out. It is probably the most critically needed missing feature in MT by orders of magnitude, in order to use it with other music apps, now that it is Audiobus enabled. Please and soon! :D
—"Expert" is the title that society awards someone who is recurrently shocked and surprised by what the rest of us saw coming—
shprotek4000

Post by shprotek4000 »

bought MT DAW yesterday ... totally awesome app
only missing thing is midi clock ; )