Wireless Microphones

New Features and requests for new features
crunchysteve

Wireless Microphones

Post by crunchysteve »

Here's an idea inspired recently by the idea that, with iPad's lack of USB, Apple maybe focused more on wireless peripherals...

There are a number of WiFi-based wireless microphone systems for various game consoles. There are wireless Singstar mics for PS3 and Wii, which while not a pro standard, are not too shabby.

If these microphones are streaming audio over the air, and apparently able to work in conjunction with each other (as evidenced by being able to play singstar with up to 4 mics), might it be be possible to pick up multiple streams and feed them to individual channels in Multitrack?

I know from fiddling I did a few years ago that multiple Sony Singstar adapters can be aggregated in Mac OS X to form one, virtual audio device. The thing which allows this is each device has a unique serial number as it's device name. Maybe this is how the wifi versions work.

Anyway, the potential is there to get more than one or two inputs into Multitrack. Maybe not useful on iPhone, but on iPad we could be talking about the power to record up to 8 such wireless audio streams. I've done this easily on a 1GHz iBook G4 (with 4 Singstar audio boxes), so a 1Ghz iPad should make this possible.
CLVannoy

Re: Wireless Microphones

Post by CLVannoy »

awsome very exciting
pwnified

Re: Wireless Microphones

Post by pwnified »

It should be possible, if they support an open standard for sending wireless audio. Unfortunately you would still need a wireless router that everything can connect to (the iPhone/iPod/iPad don't have the ability to create their own network) so it's not as 'portable' as we can hope for. But an interesting idea nonetheless.