The Wheel (New Tune)

Post links to songs you made in here!
wherewithal

The Wheel (New Tune)

Post by wherewithal »

Ok, getting the hang of this now. Still a ways to go.

Track recorded using DM1, Sunrizer Synth, iTrack Solo, Amplitube, My Bass, guitars and voice. Polished with the "Audio Mastering" App

https://soundcloud.com/jeremyjoneill/th ... 13-convert
wherewithal

Re: The Wheel (New Tune)

Post by wherewithal »

martygras

Post by martygras »

I think I like the 1st one better because it goes right into the song with no fade in.

The first thing that hits me is the, "how the heck did you get it" awesome bass tone. I can feel the bass and still hear the room. If it is even a room. (DI and verb?) Very convincing if so.

Good song, nice arrangement and well recorded and mixed. Love the tempo.

Now the critique:
Most home recordists who also sing fall into several traps. You might have fallen into two of them.
1. I think the main vocal needs to come up and sit on top more. Is this because nobody likes their own voice? Try it even if you don't like it and get some other peoples opinions.

2. Home recording doesn't always allow us to sing at a volume that the song needs and it seems you are holding back on intensity. If you can push your air a bit more, the emotion I'm hearing will be more likely to move the listener.

I don't sing so I'm being a bit hypocritical.

You are indeed pushing the boundaries of MT DAW.

Oh, and the portamento synth line sounds cool, but gets dissonant at times. I assume this is intentional to add tension.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
wherewithal

Post by wherewithal »

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

The bass sound is a fender P into my iTrack solo and some amp modeling in amplitube (Ampeg 1x15) into audiobus and on to MTDAW. No verb. I read up ALOT on how to eq a bass too. I think that helped a bit. Natively I'd just opt for straight mud.

The vocal lays where it Is because it seems no matter what db I set the faders for I'm pushing yellow into red. I recorded it too hot. It was my second vocal with this rig. If. I'm pulling back performance wise it's because I can hear distortion (and not the cool tube distortion) I record live instruments late at night when the kids are in bed and the wife is at work so it's not a shyness thing.

I have to record at -10db in the digital world. It's a learning curve. It used to be that you'd WANT to see yellow.

The synth (theremin preset in sunrizer) is just the root notes of the chords in the verse (D, b) before I leave one tone for the other I play the second step of the scale so it acts like a suspension so your ears are correct.

Again, thank you for your time and feedback. Stuff like this is invaluable as we try and improve
thebassbuilder

Post by thebassbuilder »

Man that sounds great! At first I thought the vocals did not need that big open room sound to it, but the more I listen to the song, I liked it. It would be nice if you could bring out the vocals a little more so we could hear more of the lower side of your voice and it fit with the high-fi sound of the other instruments, but regardless a killer song and I am a fan.
thebassbuilder

Post by thebassbuilder »

I think I like the second track the best but both sound great. Good work on this and what did you use for the drum track?
wherewithal

Post by wherewithal »

Thanks Bassbuilder,

(that instrument in your avatar is beautiful, btw) The drums are the 909 sound on the DM-1 Drum machine app. I played with the resonance on the "snare" sound a bit but other than that it's pretty much the presets.

Thanks for listening