My first Multitrack Daw song

Post links to songs you made in here!
Ischemica

My first Multitrack Daw song

Post by Ischemica »

This track was recorded and edited in Multitrack Daw thanks to pwnified's excellent app.

Ischemica https://soundcloud.com/kevin-mcisaac/anywhere-part-1
wherewithal

Re: My first Multitrack Daw song

Post by wherewithal »

Wow,

that is some really cool, unique sounding stuff and that shuffle that the drummer is playing is tasty. I really dig what you're doing here with the different sonic elements, bravo.

If I had one criticism it would be the vocals. I know that they're heavily effected (it sounds like a harmonizer and some phasing?) but i think the track could benefit from more compression before the effects. Other than that, great tune. Reminds me of Neil Young circa Trans. (Don't know if you're old enough to get that reference but you can look it up ;)

Keep it up!
Ischemica

Post by Ischemica »

Hi Wherewithal, thanx for the insights and words of encouragement.

The vocals got a litttle difficult to manage as there was a mix of dry and wet on many tracks, as well as manual de-essing which made it very challenging to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Yes, spot-on about Trans, as I am a huge fan of Neil Young and that record was a definite influence on me. I like many others was puzzled when I first heard it, and I even gave it a listen a few weeks ago and think it was many years ahead of it's time and has an interesting backstory about Neil trying to communicate with his son Ben who has cerebral palsy.

I did not know this until recently and found it very inspiring.

Thanks again for the input!

Kevin
wherewithal

Post by wherewithal »

His son's disabilities were also the reason he bought Loinel Trains back then too.

As far as the vocals, I made a lot of those same mistakes with this rig at first too, What are you using for a mic and how close are you to it? standing further away and singing just slightly off to the side might eliminate the need for the de-essing
Ischemica

Post by Ischemica »

The mic I used is an IRIG Cast meant mainly for podcasts. As the old recording saying goes "the best mic is the one you have!"

I found it to be only slightly better than the built-in mic and hope to get the Blue spark digital in the near future and the Apogee mic in the distant future.

I will try some experiments with mic placement in hopes of not using manual methods which as you know are very time consuming.

I did not know about the trains either, interesting.
wherewithal

Post by wherewithal »

Yeah,

He wanted them to develop a controller that Ben could work with his mouth. When there wasn't enough ROI for them to undertake the project he bought the company and did it himself

Not only is that the text book example of Dedication to your kid, but its also the meaning of "eff you money"

I use the MXL 990 and 991 for vocals and the pencil for acoustic guitar, your acoustics sounded awesome on your song.