MultiTrack DAW Version 3.1.6

New Features and requests for new features
pwnified

MultiTrack DAW Version 3.1.6

Post by pwnified »

New features for version 3.1.6:

24 bit recording capable! And 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz supported! New projects can now be created with 16 bit or 24 bit, and one of these sample rates. Use the Options menu from the song list screen to choose the format for a new song project. 24 bit projects will use 64 bits for internal signal processing. All imported/recorded audio will be converted to match the song project format, if needed. (**)

New "Open In…" button for Regions, Bins, and Mixdowns. This gives you another way to get audio out of MultiTrack and into anther app, like DropBox or other sharing apps.

Improved background support, double tap the Home button for audio controls that can now be used to control MultiTrack.

Internal Dithering for all volume controls. Even when a project is set for 16 bit, 24 bit is requested from the audio hardware and then dithered, resulting in a cleaner signal than the default 16 bit non-dithered signal. (**)

Bit transparency. When volume faders are set to 0dB and FX off, there will be no signal processing, resulting in 100% clean signal transparency throughout the system from input to output (no losses or added distortion).

Song project folders are now unhidden in the Documents folder of iTunes File Sharing, for easy backup of songs. To Backup a song, drag the song out of the Documents folder. To restore a backed up project, zip it and and drag it back to the Documents folder.

Full support for zipping and unzipping a song project from within MultiTrack (Touch-hold a song icon to zip the song, tap a zipped song to unzip).

(**) requires iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen, iPad, or later, external audio hardware
DavePDX

Re: MultiTrack DAW Version 3.1.6

Post by DavePDX »

Wow, you've been busy! Thanks for all the great work. I own a lot of multi tracking apps on lots of different platforms, and this continues to be my hands down favorite.
Thatbastarddon

Post by Thatbastarddon »

Thank you for making it easier to move my stuff around via Dropbox. So far, so good. I can't wait to check out 24bit recording, and dither...but the only interface i have(so far) that does 24bit is the Apogee Jam(no 88.2/96Khz).

Don :D
CougarFool

Post by CougarFool »

Thanks for the update! I'm sure I don't actually use it to anywhere near its full potential yet but really like the new sharing options.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Thanks for your hard work with this. I actually believe I can hear an improvement in the mix engine. Kind of more open-ness.

Can you clarify the info regarding bit depth/sample rate. I currently have a line 6 mobile in, which I believe is 24bit/48kHz capable. How do I know if MTD is making use of this or not. At the moment when you plug in the Line 6 a message box alerts you to the bit depth/sample rate. However, when its removed and returns to internal mic the next message also claims 24 bit. Is the iphone 4S internal mic A to D really 24bit?

Personally I like the idea of the extra headroom 24 bit allows but worry that the hardware is now the weak link. Sorry if I'm not expressing this clearly.

Besides that its a great update.

Just need the developer of Twisted Wave to improve that app now to allow editing all these file formats, unless anyone knows of a better wav editor out there. 24 bit files sent to it are beautifully corrupted, which is a shame.

Eagerly awaiting the inter app audio thing to become a reality. That will be very very cool!
B.Skaigh

Post by B.Skaigh »

Will you give some detail about this?

"Improved background support, double tap the Home button for audio controls that can now be used to control MultiTrack. "

Can't seem to access this feature.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

anfirmor wrote:Can you clarify the info regarding bit depth/sample rate.
Well, the closest we can get to the metal is to request an AudioUnit set for 24 bit (actually 8.24 or 32 bit), there is actually no way of knowing whether the hardware can fill those extra bits, other than testing it. Most hardware that claims 24 bit is in fact much less than that in reality. However, on iOS I was able to achieve a superior result than 16 bit by requesting the 24 bit format and dithering down to 16 bit for 16 bit projects. So we know there are more than 16 bits in hardware. The popup bubble in MultiTrack is simply displaying the AudioUnit source format.

As far as samplerates go, it IS possible to know the exact hardware samplerate under iOS. What looks like a bug right now, is that the popup bubble is not displaying the hardware format, but the AU source format. The iPhone 3GS and iPod 3rd gen should not be displaying 88.2 and 96kHz in the popup bubble. Even though they are converting to the projects format, the popup bubble was meant to display the hardware format as closely as possible.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

B.Skaigh wrote:Will you give some detail about this?

"Improved background support, double tap the Home button for audio controls that can now be used to control MultiTrack. "

Can't seem to access this feature.
Start a song playing in MultiTrack, then close the app with the Home button, or switch to another app (on iPad with a 5 finger swipe). Now by double tapping the home button, the taskbar will appear at the bottom. Swipe the taskbar right to view the media controls. The idea was to be able to use these controls to control MultiTrack while in another app. Currently the play/pause and rewind buttons are working.

Another way is to start playback, then lock the screen with the power button. Double tap the Home button, and another set of media controls will be available for play/stop/rewind. On the iPhone, you should also be able to switch between speaker/receiver.

However, once the end of the song is reached, MultiTrack will stop playback and relinquish these controls.
Elothesource

Post by Elothesource »

I have downloaded the update on my iPad2 and now the app will not work I have posted this issue on the feedback on the app page I hope the will fix this issue soon I was looking to use the new stuff
@elothesource
malagodi

Post by malagodi »

Hey, thanks for the "open in" function. Saves the file, though with a weird file name, in my FTP client.

Now I can send to any ftp server.

Thanks!