A list of what DEFINITELY works?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jorgren

Re: A list of what DEFINITELY works?

Post by jorgren »

What will you plug into the mic jack on the kv cable? The 1K resistor there will load down and reduce the loudness of whatever you connect. If you connect a guitar for example, the signal will be very quiet and will be severely lacking in midrange and treble.

Some people have said that guitar is too loud for the mic input (and therefore you'd think loading down would be a good thing), but that's a mistaken impression. The mic input actually puts 2.8 volts DC OUT to your source (i.e. guitar). That DC voltage causes horrible crackling because it makes sparks inside the pots (volume and tone controls) on the guitar. To some ears, the crackle might sound like overload/distortion, but it's not. At the same time as you have the crackles, you will have a very weak signal. So overall, a straight connection for guitar is not satisfactory.
yep

Post by yep »

Crap - was going to connect guitar & mic. But I have a mixer and pre-amp, if that helps.

Looks like I might have to fish around the board here for help. If you happen to know who made your cable, lmk.

Thx a ton for the input.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Yep,

If you can use the mixer or the preamp to buffer your guitar's signal, you could probably connect that to the KV cable. You'll probably need to fiddle with levels a little bit, but it would probably work decently. I don't know what mixer or preamp you have, but if one of them has a dedicated guitar input, it would be the right choice. You don't need to add a lot of gain (maybe just a smidge), really just an impedance match and DC block, which would be typical features in either category of devices.

Oh, and the people who've built my cable design are:

vin*tone
Forkmann

and pstidworthy is the RiotFX developer, who has prototyped something similar for sale.
yep

Post by yep »

Jorgren - thx - great help. Appreciate it.

I have the ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

I looked up the specs for Tube MP – Studio V3™ (I don't know whether you have V3, or how significant any differences from previous versions might be). According to the specs, this product should work nicely for what you want to do. It has a 1/4 inch instrument input with 840 kohm impedance, and the output impedance is 600 ohms. These will be good for your guitar output and iPhone mic input respectively.
yep

Post by yep »

Cool - thx. I can fiddle around with this.
yep

Post by yep »

Jorgren -

I'm happy to report the cable works & I can continue writing hits for Justin Bieber. j/k ;)

Cable works - it does in fact lose some midrange, but my mixer compensates fine & I'm at 95% of perfect and was expecting 0%, so I'm happy about that. Actually, it's much more clean in I/O interface than my prior solution, so I'll call it even.

Thx for your help.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Wonderful - I'm happy it works.
ViBRATiONLANDER

Post by ViBRATiONLANDER »

Some have already reported that the Griffin iMic has been successful ...
I can confirm that, as I'm using it with the camera connection kit to input mic and line to my iPad.
Its all working great as is the monitor out.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Thanks Vib! Good news.