Some small enhancements for USB

New Features and requests for new features
AndyB

Some small enhancements for USB

Post by AndyB »

I've just bought an Allen and Heath mixer with built in USB, and I'm really enjoying using it to record to my iPad running MultiTrack.

I just had a few little features that I thought would be useful when recording:

- Ability to ARM two tracks, setting one as USB right, one as USB left
This would be awesome - since I plan to use the mixer to record clean guitar or bass into one channel, and distorted guitar from a miked up amp into the other channel. I can then re-amp the clean signal in my DAW if I want to.
- In-track normalisation, or an option to normalise on copy
I tried copying and pasting to see if normalisation would be applied, but it wasn't (I guess it only happens when multiple tracks are copied during a bounce-down?). It would be cool to either be able to have a setting to always normalise on copy (even with single tracks) - or to have a normalise in place feature. I'm finding that I'm setting the levels quite conservatively for USB recording, so normalise is the first thing I want to do before mixing.
- An option to use a slight limit or compression, in place.
It would be cool to be able to do a compress-in-place to a track... since I want to normalise but find only a couple of places which actually hit full level. A gentle compress on normalise would allow a bigger boost to the whole track.

Thanks!
AndyB

Re: Some small enhancements for USB

Post by AndyB »

Just wanted to add one more...
Would it be possible for the recording meter to have some sort of peak hold, or at least a 'red light' if max signal is reached? This would enable higher USB levels to be recorded. At the moment it's impossible to see if you're peaking.