2.0 in Use

New Features and requests for new features
fgrittner

2.0 in Use

Post by fgrittner »

I just got back from a 10 day trip that included 7 days at a folk music gathering. A friend asked me to play a song I wrote and included on a 1996 album. I forgot a chunk of the words. A few days later in my hotel room I came up with the lyrics and decided to share the song with everyone who had been in the room when I messed up. I have a 3GS and brought along my Blue Mikey version 1. I plugged in the Mikey and placed it on a chest of drawers. I sat on an ottoman so the mic was just above the top of my head. I sang and played guitar on track one. Then I overdubbed a mandolin and a lead guitar with the phone on an end table. I panned and adjusted the volume before uploading it to SoundCloud and making an aac file I could email to a friend. It all worked seamlessly.

Today I converted the aac to mp3 and emailed the song to about 10 people. One friend said he didn't know why had so much gear in my studio when I could produce good acoustic music using the iPhone. I can improve the mix by exporting the files into Logic but I got a kick out of using only MultiTrack's feature set. BTW, I later recorded another song and brought the phone down to the hotel lobby where there was digital piano. Unfortunately, the nearby water fountain made too much noise and the piano had some silent keys. What I did play using the built in mics sounded good but for those limitations.

I look forward to eq, compression, etc., but for now this is still a powerful tool. The doorman at the hotel is a musician--I showed it to him and he couldn't believe what we have in the palm of our hands.

Thanks again for your work.

Fred
pwnified

Re: 2.0 in Use

Post by pwnified »

Thanks Fred, this is great. It's definitely nice to have the computing power available in such a small space, to run a resource heavy application like MultiTrack. The best recordings are usually the ones that just 'happen', so the better our portable devices get at capturing these the better our music can become.