Camera connector kit into iPad for band rehearsal recording

New Features and requests for new features
Drummerville

Camera connector kit into iPad for band rehearsal recording

Post by Drummerville »

I have a connector kit for my iPad and I tried Samsons "Go Mic" to record band practice . The Mic works fine, gets signal, records sound but with any significant volume it clips and the sound is distorted. Bass and drums cause the most distortion.
I have of course used the input level to reduce as much as possible but it still sounds like crap!
My question is... Is there something I can do to further reduce input or add pad to the mic thru multitrack?
I spoke to someone at Samson and they just said that it should work fine with a computer but couldn't comment on an iPad.
pwnified

Re: Camera connector kit into iPad for band rehearsal record

Post by pwnified »

The signal is clipping at the mic unfortunately. The signal is all digital (USB) by the time it gets to the iPad, so the iPad gets the pre-clipped digital signal, funny the person as Samson didn't know this. It would sound the same going into a computer. So the input fader in MultiTrack is the first thing in the signal chain software, but it's too late because it's already clipped. Unfortunately the only way to record a loud band rehearsal is to use a mic that can handle the SPL's and output an unclipped signal.
hp sudon

Post by hp sudon »

@drummerville--
for recording band rehearsals or loudness, I've found the Belkin tunetalk works pretty well, it's a stereo mic and can accept a surprising range of frequencies and extreme SPL. There is a bit of hiss but if you're only using it to record rehearsals then it's not a big deal. I recorded our band rehearsal with my touch sitting only a few yards away from the drummer and it was just under the peek 0db at our loudest. Alternatively, you can also use the line in on the belkin if your whole band is going through a mixer (getting the mix right might be too time consuming for a rehearsal though) and have a little more control over the volume that way....
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

I like the TuneTalk too (especially as a convenient stereo line-in). Unfortunately, it's not iPad compatible because Apple forgot to include analog line-in on the iPad.
hp sudon

Post by hp sudon »

that sucks-- I wonder why they did that??
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Apple hates their customers.