aac won't play in itunes

How to use MultiTrack DAW
myspecialagent

aac won't play in itunes

Post by myspecialagent »

Hi everyone,

first of all I'd like to say that I'm a fairly new user of MultiTrack DAW, it's a great app and a pleasure to use.

At the moment, I'm using it to try to record podcasts or mixtapes. Everything works great, except for a little thing :

In MultiTrack DAW, I'm exporting my podcast in aac because I want iTunes (the software, not the store) users to read it.
BUT ... it appears that iTunes can't read it. When I add "podcast.aac", it doesn't work.
I also have an RSS feed of my podcast and when I'm using it in iTunes, it try to download the episode, but fail to read it.

Am I the only one with the problem ?

I know that converting my podcast in another format on my computer could solve the problem, but I want to podcast using my iphone/ipad only.

Here's a link to my podcast on soundcloud :http://soundcloud.com/vivamods/episode3
and the link to download it : http://soundcloud.com/vivamods/episode3/download
and the link to my rss feed : http://feeds.feedburner.com/vivamodspodcast (the problem is only in episode 3, the others were created with my computer)

PS : thanks to everyone who can help and sorry for my english (I'm french ...)
jkevinwolfe

Re: aac won't play in itunes

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Special,

Ton anglaise c'est bon. Welcome to the forums.

Your podcast plays fine on my Mac. I am also able to download it on my iPad and forward it with a mailer app, but can't play it on my iPad. Lack of playback on the iOS could have something to do with the size of the file, since it's it's too big for most mail apps to deal with.

Since I can play it on the mac, the file encoding and upload to sound cloud are working without problems.

Kevin
myspecialagent

Post by myspecialagent »

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your help !

I really don't understand what causes my problem...
My computer is running windows, so maybe that's a problem with aac files...

Anywway, MultiTrack DAW is great ! But like I saw in another post, a in app purchase providing mp3 encoding could be even greater.

What I'm going to say next might be off topic (non related to multitrack daw) so feel free to stop me :
I've seen that soundcloud automatically encode in 128kbs mp3 everything that gets uploaded. I tried to download that mp3 with the firefox plugin Download Helper : it's not working... While I can download with the same plugin any other track uploaded by anyone except me on soundclound ...
Am I cursed ? :D
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

EDIT This bit is wrong - see pwnified's comments below :lol:
[Soundcloud isn't mp3. I believe it's OggVorbis. Also, Soundcloud is designed, as far as I know, to stop you copying music from their site to your computer.]

On the plus side, a 128kb/s OggVorbis file sounds much, much better than a 128kb/s mp3.

Dominic
Last edited by dominicperry on October 14th, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I downloaded tha AAC you posted and it does work, but only in quicktime or in email attachments, I could not get iTunes to recognize it. So I digged deeper, and found a bug with multitrack (it was not using the right container format, and even the file extension should be m4a). But the mime type for email was correct. So the next update (I'm hoping within a couple weeks) will address this issue, and thank you for bringing it up.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

dominicperry wrote:Soundcloud isn't mp3. I believe it's OggVorbis. Also, Soundcloud is designed, as far as I know, to stop you copying music from their site to your computer.
SoundCloud will accept many different file formats, pretty much all of them. I'm not exactly sure how the web player interfaces work, whether they stream the actual file or transcode on the fly. But if you sign up for a paid account, people can download the original file in its original format.
dominicperry wrote:On the plus side, a 128kb/s OggVorbis file sounds much, much better than a 128kb/s mp3.
Indeed, ogg is highly superior at similar bitrates.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

myspecialagent wrote:Anywway, MultiTrack DAW is great ! But like I saw in another post, a in app purchase providing mp3 encoding could be even greater.
More information on this. I contacted the mp3 people and found out the per unit price could be lowered, but they impose a minimum yearly fee ($15,000). This is how they get paid without doing any accounting (units sold, proof of units sold, etc). For a company to just milk the cash cow like that is sickening, and I'm not going to support it. There is no way to recoop 15 grand a year from maybe 200 upgrades for mp3 encoding support. Unfortunate and frustrating, I know.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Anything which kills off mp3 is good in my book. I'm sick of Autotune, sick of whining, grating artifacts on YouTube, and sick of the terrible sound of 128mb/s mp3s. Mind you, I still think vinyl sounds better than CD. Anyway, I'm impressed with Ogg, thanks for supporting it. I can just about pick up the differences between CD and 320kb/s Ogg on my system, although I'm sure a proper midfield monitor would show greater differences.

Dominic
myspecialagent

Post by myspecialagent »

Weeell mp3 is expansive ! We Will do without it.

But I'm really waiting for the aac/mp4 fix !
Thanks to all of you, especially pwnified of course, for helping me.
treemusic

Post by treemusic »

Great to hear that a fix is in the works for this. BTW, it also won't open in Audacity. i'm guessing that the same fix would help it run in any program that supports AAC files?

Thanks.