Step by Step: Record a Song & a Sermon

How to use MultiTrack DAW
EdwardCook

Step by Step: Record a Song & a Sermon

Post by EdwardCook »

I've been using a 17 inch MacBook Pro running QuickTime Pro to record sermons and songs in our church and am now wanting to switch to using my iPad. I'm told that DAW Multitrack is my app for this but I'm totally confused by the interface. Can anyone give me a step by step of how I would do this.

All the mics in the church come back to a mixer board. I will plug into the mixer board with a cable that has a 3.5mm jack at the iPad end and RCA jacks at the mixer end.

I will come to church, sit through the congregational singing, then record the special song, then a few minutes later record the sermon. These are to be two separate files that I can upload to our website as MP3's or whatever.

After the service I will go home and transfer these to the laptop and upload to our web site using the podcast software I've been using for the last three years.

Thanks in advance for anyone's step by step.

(If something like this already exists on the site, you can just give me the link.)

I looked at the step by step at the top of this forum but I'm still a bit confused about some things.
pwnified

Re: Step by Step: Record a Song & a Sermon

Post by pwnified »

Actually, we don't recommend using MultiTrack for field recording, where the recordings are long and you're not going to overdub (or multitrack) any other parts. This is because there is a cache track which spans the entire length of the song and is fairly wide (more than twice as wide as a single stereo track in wav format). This extra track is very costly in terms of filespace, but the cost is amortized much lower when you have many tracks in parallel. So MultiTrack is intended for shorter song lengths, with many tracks in parallel.

Personally, if I'm going to record an impromptu jam session where I know I'm not going to do any overdubs, I always just use "FiRe" as a field recorder. It's a great little stereo recorder and has many exporting features.

About how to record in MultiTrack, please see this short tutorial which outlines how to arm a track: http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2
It's a bit dated but the basic idea is there. Let us know if you have a specific question.
EdwardCook

Re: Step by Step: Record a Song & a Sermon

Post by EdwardCook »

OK thanks. FiRe was going to be the next one for me to try. They have a free version called Blue FiRe which I'll download first to try out.

Just sorry I spent $9.99 on Multitrack DAW and $5.99 on StudioMiniXL but I guess sometimes you learn by experience. I guess I should have posted here before purchasing anything.

Thanks again.