Garageband coming to iPad?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
AkaManzana

Re: Garageband coming to iPad?

Post by AkaManzana »

Apple is so powerful right now, it's almost scary. In a way Im glad that they are moving away from being a boutique company and catering for the mass market. Did anybody realize the first iPad was cheaper than the first iPhone?, I think the subsidized model opened their eyes.

It doesn't change the fact of how sneaky they are. Now I think we know the reason why they kept changing the audio routing on the dock connector, they wanted to slow down the music making business on their products until they came out with their own option. Look at the brand new Apogee Jam, covers audio in/out on most of their iPods/iPhones/iPads from the digital throughput of the dock connector, and is advertised by them on the new video.

Multitrack DAW can seize the moment because a good consumer is always going to look for other options to make their projects. There had been plenty of recording apps on the store, even ones advertised as making whole songs from a phone before Multitrack. Im proud to say that Multitrack was my first music recording purchase because I saw the potential in the app, starting with the wave interface. Sorry for the long post, I dont post a lot; but read a lot. :D
Daisrael

Post by Daisrael »

I have it. It's nothing more than a cool toy. It's not at all a DAW. You can't import to it. You can't edit much of anything. 8 feeble tracks. Extremely limited boxed in environment. No fade ability.
It's just a toy in it's current design. No competition to multi track whatsoever.
I love it's design. The sounds are all high quality. About all you can do is make nice melodies, arps, and beats to export. But GB as a stand alone work station is impossible for now.
M57

Post by M57 »

Records well as far as I can tell. I wasn't able to download tracks to Garageband on my computer. It only sends mixes as far as I can tell. Yes, there's no fade, but Geesh there's a lot of features, instruments, effects, etc. It wouldn't take much for them to turn this into a usable app, but my guess is they'll do it with a "Pro" app and charge a lot more.
Erik dP

Post by Erik dP »

...I guess that muting all but one track at a time for import to another DAW would work, but I'm unfamiliar to AAC files, compability and quality. (No wav?) Making some tracks in GB for MT usage would othervice be nice.
Bytebrain

Post by Bytebrain »

Erik dP wrote:...I guess that muting all but one track at a time for import to another DAW would work, but I'm unfamiliar to AAC files, compability and quality. (No wav?) Making some tracks in GB for MT usage would othervice be nice.
I tried that, and it's possible. MT automatically converts the file to wav on import.
I like the easy no-nonsense way of doing a drum loop in GB, but in DAW-sense, there's no comparison to MultiTrack DAW.
johnnymultitrack

Post by johnnymultitrack »

I bought and installed GarageBand on my Ipad2. It is really nice looking and polished but the reality is Multitrack DAW is better for real songwriters.

GB has no way of importing tracks from outside of it. That is a deal-breaker. GB also has a cap of 8 tracks. Another deal-breaker.

So far the only person in my life who loves GB is my friends kid. She is 9 years old.

GB is a toy in its current state. MD is a true Digital Audio Workstation.

But I agree with those who have said that Apple has a team of people working real hard to make GB the go to music app for I-devices. MD has a good lead as of now. Pwnified, you have your work cut out for you.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Ah, but there is no competition on iphone as Garageband isn't available for iphone yet!

I've tried loads of multitrack apps on the iphone 4 (including the woeful and overpriced Rectools 08) and the only other one I use anymore is Amplitube because of it's its four track and effects, but this is a slightly different animal and is definately not a DAW. I know it's being greedy but a few effects, in particular a reverb send would be just brilliant. Would it be too cheeky to ask if anything is in the pipeline?
boone51

Post by boone51 »

I've seen more than one person on these forums claim that you can paste copy tracks out of GBand paste them into MT DAW, but I have yet to have any success with this. Can someone shed some light on this process for me? Getting frustrated that I'm not smart enough to figure this out on my own...
yep

Post by yep »

You're smart enough to search, though, right? - try the iPad Garageband to DAW workflow thread
boone51

Post by boone51 »

yep wrote:You're smart enough to search, though, right? - try the iPad Garageband to DAW workflow thread
Oh, I see that's you who started that thread. The link in there is busted. It no workie. Also, have you had success with the copying of a track out of gb into daw? I can't get that to work. Was all excited when I read you could do that, but I can't get that to work either.