iPad Garageband to DAW workflow

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

iPad Garageband to DAW workflow

Post by yep »

I was going to ask this question but I figured it out & wanted to share in case s/one else needed the info. Of course, normally best just to work in DAW, but GB has some cool instruments if you want to work with those to rough out an idea.

If you want to work from an iPad GB to DAW (you can't import audio to GB without a fairly nasty workaround), do this:
1. Export your Song from iPad GB as a *.band file
2. Go to iTunes > Apps > GB & save band file to computer
3. Right click & "show package contents" of band folder (this is on OSX - not sure on XP or Vista)
4. Take all aif tracks from Media folder
5. Import them through wifi into an audio bin of a DAW song
6. Copy & paste each bin/track to a new track in DAW

Then keep on working & adding tracks! Enjoy.
Bytebrain

Re: iPad Garageband to DAW workflow

Post by Bytebrain »

yep wrote:I was going to ask this question but I figured it out & wanted to share in case s/one else needed the info. Of course, normally best just to work in DAW, but GB has some cool instruments if you want to work with those to rough out an idea.

If you want to work from an iPad GB to DAW (you can't import audio to GB without a fairly nasty workaround), do this:
1. Export your Song from iPad GB as a *.band file
2. Go to iTunes > Apps > GB & save band file to computer
3. Right click & "show package contents" of band folder (this is on OSX - not sure on XP or Vista)
4. Take all aif tracks from Media folder
5. Import them through wifi into an audio bin of a DAW song
6. Copy & paste each bin/track to a new track in DAW

Then keep on working & adding tracks! Enjoy.
If you don't have too many tracks, there's an easier way to do this.
Just copy each track separately in GB, open MT DAW, and paste your track. MT DAW will convert the AAC track automatically to WAV.
You'll have to go back and forth for each track, but I find it's much faster and far more convenient compared to connecting iPad to pc and having to go through iTunes.
northerner

Post by northerner »

Yep
Wouldn't mind knowing the 'nasty workaround' you mean to get audio into GB.

Bytebrain
I can see how to copy an audio file in GB but can't see how you paste it into MT. How do you do this.
Northerner
Bytebrain

Post by Bytebrain »

northerner wrote:Yep
Wouldn't mind knowing the 'nasty workaround' you mean to get audio into GB.

Bytebrain
I can see how to copy an audio file in GB but can't see how you paste it into MT. How do you do this.
Northerner
I don't believe it's possible to copy an audio file to GB via copy and paste, Apple apparently gimped that feature on purpose, but it's possible the other way, I've done it.

Just touch a track in GB and several options appear, amongst them copy.
After copyng, open MT DAW, and paste into a track. MT DAW will automatically convert the track to WAV.
It works just fine, which is great for me, as I can then use the drums from GB in my MT DAW projects.

EDIT!!:
Correction: you have to tap twice on a track for the menu to appear to copy. No paste though, which really is a shame. Apple really goes out of their way to restrict GB to work with other music apps...
easypete

Post by easypete »

Bytebrain wrote:Just touch a track in GB and several options appear, amongst them copy.
After copyng, open MT DAW, and paste into a track. MT DAW will automatically convert the track to WAV.
It works just fine, which is great for me, as I can then use the drums from GB in my MT DAW projects.

EDIT!!:
Correction: you have to tap twice on a track for the menu to appear to copy. No paste though, which really is a shame. Apple really goes out of their way to restrict GB to work with other music apps...
Eh... I double click track in GB, hit copy. Opened up MT DAW and held down at a track. No Paste option, just "Erase" "Name" and "Bins..." (nothing under Bins).
northerner

Post by northerner »

Exactly easypete! No option to paste after opening MT.
Can anyone who has had success doing this expain how to do it?
Northerner
yep

Post by yep »

Northerner - Several methods for importing audio into GB on the iPad are listed in this discussion thread - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 5&tstart=0

I am going to try elliotttate's version (the one on Pg2, Apr 3 @ 1:13p - not the 1st one) - sounds cool.

But I have used his version 1 on Pg1 (Apr 2 @ 9:09p) & it works! - some have said the sample track needs to be 4 secs at least. To be safe, record several tracks of 5+ secs - that way you can import more than 1 track if you'd like! Also, of course make sure the GB aif files that you replace on your mac have the same name.
Jplatanou

Post by Jplatanou »

Record your track/song on garageband. Then email it to yourself. Then go to your mails and touch-hold the attachment file, so a pop up menu appears. Select "open in multitrack". Now you have your garageband audio file in your DAW.
The good thing with this approach is that you don't need a laptop/desktop computer. The bad thing is that you need to have internet access. For me it works perfectly, since there is almost always some wifi network nearby. I hope this helps.
yep

Post by yep »

If you want to bring DAW or any other tracks into GB, I have confirmed that elliotttate's version (the one on Pg2, Apr 3 @ 1:13p) works! Super easy.
boone51

Post by boone51 »

I can't seem to get that link to pull up the thread. That or it's been removed. Please tell me someone saved the info that was listed here.

Also, I'd love to be able to do what the person above suggested and copy tracks out of gb into daw. I can't see where the paste option is available when I copy from GB, though. I see whe some others have pointed out problems with this as well, but I don't see responses to those either. Surely someone is able to do this since they claimed to be able to, I just need to know how. Help please.