iPad Garageband to DAW workflow

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

Re: iPad Garageband to DAW workflow

Post by yep »

Here's the info from the deleted post - works perfectly!

To import tracks (aif files) into an iPad Garageband song, download iphone explorer (better than the one I suggested before and freeware) http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

1. On your ipad garageband, record a couple second clip where you want to import the audio
2. In iphone explorer on your computer, open the bookmark to apps/GarageBand/Library/Application Support/Documents (This is where all your songs will always be stored…)(You need to make this bookmark the first time)
3. Rename the aif file that you want to import to Audio Recorder#02.aif (or whatever the name that Garageband gave to that couple second clip you just recorded. Will always be the highest number Audio Recorder aif in song media folder) (E.g. if you had five tracks before, it would be “Audio Recorder#06.aif”)
4. Drag your aif into the song media folder (in iphone explorer) and it will ask you to replace the one that was in there. (If you are wanting to import an mp3, wave, etc, just import it into a mac garageband song first as it will automatically make it an aif file)

To import new samples, it’s a very similar method...

1. In the sampler, hit record for a second to make a new sample. Name it and save it.
2. In iphone explorer on your computer, open the bookmark to apps/GarageBand/Library/Application Support/Instrument Library\Media\Sampler\Sampler Files (This is where all your samples will always be stored…)(You need to make this bookmark the first time)
3. Rename the aif file that you want to use as a sample to Whatever-you-named-your-sample-in-garageband.aif
4. Drag your aif into the sampler files folder (in iphone explorer) and it will ask you to replace the one that was in there. (If you are wanting to import an mp3, wave, etc, just import it into a mac garageband song first as it will automatically make it an aif file)
boone51

Post by boone51 »

Ah, I see. This is great if I'm in front of a computer. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing. What about the copying of audio out of GB into DAW? Any idea about that or if it works at all? I was very excited when I read that in a previous post, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks again.
yep

Post by yep »

My first post in this thread should do it - works for me.
boone51

Post by boone51 »

Sorry, I think I should have been clearer. There was a poster in this thread who suggested you could copy a track out of GB and paste it into DAW without the use of a computer (highlight trackin GB, select "copy" from menu, open DAW, paste into track). Have you or anyone you know had any experience with this? I can't seem to make that work. That's my preferred method because I'm not always around a computer. Thanks for all the adbive so far.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I don't have an iPad yet, but someone mentioned emailing the tracks from GB, holding the attachment in your email account on iPad and tapping on the "open in MultiTrack" option. A bit of a pain, but better than dealing with the computer. If there's no copy and paste, would that work for you? I'm curious about what you think as I'm getting an iPad in about two weeks.
Jplatanou

Post by Jplatanou »

Hi, yes i wrote that if you email your garageband audio to youself, then you can open the email-attachment in your DAW. Just press-hold the attachment icon, and a pop up menu appears, that says "open in multitrack". Then in multitrack press-hold somewhere inside a track, so that the "paste" action appears. Press "paste", and there you have it.

Please excuse my english, i hope you understand what i'm writing :)
boone51

Post by boone51 »

Yes, that works. I was hoping for something a little more graceful, but this will have to do for now. I actually have an iphone as well and I'm finding it just simpler to record from the ipad down into my iphone. The interface for DAW is laid out so nicely on the iphone that it's actually not painful to use that way at all. This lets me just go straight into DAW. That's what I'm using now anyway. Hopeful true ACP will come to GB, but I'm not really holding my breath given Apple's tendency to not play well with other kids. I can see a big roadblock being the various implementations of ACP on the iDevices (intua v sonoma). Apple isn't likely to adopt a third part developed solution for that imo, but I guess we'll see. Love the iPad 2. It's incredible. Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all of the help. :P