Multitasking/click in Background

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Liam Duggan

Multitasking/click in Background

Post by Liam Duggan »

Hi Harmonicdog/All

First off, great App, loving it...

I've been trying to play/record SynthX with MD in the background. When I do so, MD slows a little and SynthX is really distorted. I then reduced the voice count to two in SYnthX, audio was then fine. I presume that MD is pretty CPU hungry. As such, and because I'd like to play chords in SYnthx to then import into MD, I tried having an empty song in MD running in the background with just a click. When I did this and swapped to SYnthX, MD went to sleep (didn't shut down though) and I couldn't hear the click.

It seems strange that MD will run three tracks of audio in the background but not a click....Is there anyway around this at present? If not, it'd be a really usefull function for an update.

Many thanks,

Liam.
Liam Duggan

Re: Multitasking/click in Background

Post by Liam Duggan »

Hi Harmonicdog/All,

I got around the problem by making a click in 'Funkbox' at the tempo of my MD song....Funkbox plays in the background, played the chords on Synthx, dropped them into MD...all in sync nicely.

I still think being able to run just a click track from MD in the multitask would be a good function.

LIam.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Currently the way multiTrack remains processing in the background is either if you are recording, or if you are playing and there is something to play. So if you play and then switch to another app, it will continue to play as long as the other app doesn't try to exclusively grab the audio system, and there are regions in the song that extend past the playhead. As soon as the the playhead passes the last region in the song, multitrack will stop, and release all background processing. This is so it doesn't continue to drain battery for no reason.

However I hadn't thought of using the metronome in the background as a valid reason to remain processing. A workaround, would be to place a small "proxy" region out into the song, as a way of increasing the length of the song. Then the metronome will continue in the background until this last region is reached.
Liam Duggan

Post by Liam Duggan »

Thanks for the reply,

I get you.....I'll give it a try...

Peace,

Liam.
Liam Duggan

Post by Liam Duggan »

Hi pwnified,

Just to clarify, when you say MTDAW will play in the background if you are recording, do you mean on another app? ' cause if you were recording in MTDAW, it would still be In the foreground....

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Cheers,

L.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Well it will continue recording if you put multiTrack in the background. And it will continue playing if there is something to play, not including the metronome.

In some cases, starting another app while MultiTrack is playing or recording in the background, will stop multitrack. This is because the other app is grabbing the audio system exclusively. Some apps seem to work (thumbjam, morphwiz) but others not (soundprism). If you use a loopback cable, it's possible to record the output of the other app, but unfortunately the recording will also contain the monitoring mix.