memory and looping questions

How to use MultiTrack DAW
ketropolis

memory and looping questions

Post by ketropolis »

Hi,

I have a few questions about how the multitrack daw would work with an ipod touch 4g. I don't have an ipod touch 4g, but am considering buying one, primarily to use with the multitrack daw.

How much memory do audio files on the multitrack daw take up? How many, let's say, five minute songs that I composed could I save on an ipod touch 8gb? Will songs with more tracks take up more memory, or is it only length of song that determines the amount of memory a file takes up? I'm not sure if I should get the 32 gb. I plan to use the ipod with the multitrack daw as a voicerecorder and sketchpad for songs. I'll be traveling pretty soon, and not sure if I'll be taking my laptop with me. So, I may not have the option of transferring the data from the ipod to my laptop in order to make more room on the ipod. I'm trying to get an idea of how many songs I could compose with multitrack daw that I could keep on the ipod touch 8bg vs 32gb.

Another question I have is how looping works on the software. Will I be able to loop one track while other tracks play linearly? Or does the software only loop entire song sections?

Thank you so much for your help.
pwnified

Re: memory and looping questions

Post by pwnified »

MultiTrack DAW songs use a cache track which spans the entire length of the song. Think of it as an "auto freeze" track, however there is only one of them that all the other tracks (up to 24) can share. It is approx 3 times the size of a stereo wav file. So it's about 150MB for a 5 minute song. Each Bin is stored as 16 bit 44.1kHz linear pcm (wav) and they take about 10MB per minute, so a 5 minute Bin is about 50MB. In the worst case example, you could have 50MB * 24 + 150MB = 1350MB (1.3GB) in a 5 minute song.

However typical songs are much smaller, because every track is not filled completely, smaller bins with many regions are used (regions dont cost much). When you copy and paste a region, it uses the same Bin. Most songs will use a small looped Bin of only a couple megs, and have other regions pointing into other smaller Bins. So it totally depends on your recording style, for me a 5 minute song will be about 500MB.