Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
sfish

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by sfish »

The board was powered via a standard AC cable (no battery option). Here's a link to the product page which contains a closeup of the back panel showing the AC and USB ports:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X1622USB.aspx

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the Alesis IO Dock worked beautifully with Multitrack DAW. I plugged my stereo condenser mic (AudioTechnica AT822) directly into the back of the IO Dock and Multitrack DAW did a great job of capturing the live performance. Everything was recorded perfectly. Now if there were a few more effects built in to this app for quick post-production, I'd be in heaven.

BTW, You can tell if the IO Dock is switched on by looking at the battery state of the iPad. The last thing I need in my studio is another LED distracting me. For me, all ports have worked without a hitch. I do wish the input volumes weren't on the back of the unit (which makes fine-tuning a little annoying). All in all, the combo of the IO Dock and Multitrack DAW has been wonderful. It takes professionalism and flexibility of recording with the iPad to a whole new level for me.

Also, the IO Dock has the perfect heft right now and I'd hate to have it weigh me down with batteries or worry about it running out of power in the middle of a recording. If the recording situation is serious enough for me to need the connectivity of the IO Dock, there's a power source close by. Just my two cents.
Sing4Joy

Post by Sing4Joy »

zip wrote:Ahhh HA! Drag down further on the blue arrow. Got it now. A bit tricky with my fat fingers. The option was closing out before I had a chance to reach mono 2 first several tries. thanks for the help!

Z
@Zip (and everyone who still hasn't figured out how to arm two mono tracks at once based on the forum entries here):
This more explicit description kindly e-mailed to me by the developer did the trick!

Directly on the large Arm button there should be a small rectangle button (below the large red light), which can be touch-dragged up and down if you have a stereo input and a track thats not recorded on. While this rectangle button is being held you should see arrows, you can drag up and down to change the setting of Mono 1 or Mono 2. Try it on an empty track and select Mono 1 and arm it, and on another empty track select mono 2 and arm it.
UNQUOTE

This feature is not documented in the help file as far as I can tell.
dvmweb

Post by dvmweb »

Peavey 24 FX mixer usb out put is 48KHz. DAW or the iPad needs 44.1. Is there any work around? My friend uses audacity on a lap top with my mixer and has no problem. DAW works great with a microphone directly. Thank you.
Anthograntho

Post by Anthograntho »

In case this might help people, I bought this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/guitar-to- ... 15cm-56011

For $20 I thought it was worth a try. It works with camera connection kit and iPad 1. It is pretty quiet, pretty good sound quality. The latency is an issue for me. I can describe it as just long enough to feel a bit laggy and 'not quite right' but just short enough to have to squint to hear it. It is also long enough for me to look for another options.

I just wanted to post this in case anyone was looking for a cheap connector that has pretty good quality, but don't really notice a latency of maybe 50-100ms.
wilfrago

Post by wilfrago »

Hi.
I'm working with an audio interface with a terrific sound, great preamps.
It's the Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Two Onyx Preamps with excellent sound, a good monitoring system, NO MIDI. It's class compliant so it works very well with Mac and iPad. The Windows 7 64 bit drivers are USELESS, so I don't recomend it if you want to use it on that OS.
Of course you have to use a powered USB hub. As I said before, the ONYX preamps are the best part of this interface. A lot of gain and really, really quiet. Excellent Cirrus AD converters, combo XLR/TRS jacks with DI switch (for instruments), no Pads, no HPF, no MIDI. And it's no very cheap, between US$150 and US$200. I went to a friend's studio to make some tests and use it with some professional mics and the sound was very good.
Right now I'm working on a way to work the USB hub with rechargeable batteries. It's more difficult from what I have thought because you have to be very careful with voltages. USB is 5V (min 4.75V - max 5.25V), 4 AA's alkaline bateries are 6V and 4 AA rechargeable batteries are 4.8V. Or you can work with the adaptor if you don't need portability.
I think this audio interface is a good option for iPad and Mac (Not for Windows 7 64 bit).
Keith

Post by Keith »

Keith wrote:I use a Belkin powered hub to an Energizer XPAL xp4001 with a USB y cable. Here are some links.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=28108

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers
DSCN2127.jpg
Check this out.
wilfrago

Post by wilfrago »

Thanks Keith.
I have already considered this an other powerpacks options. When I saw your photograph some days ago I realized that I was correct. I live in Colombia and it's difficult to find one of this batteries.

The interface that I want most is a Sound Devices too. It's the MixPre D. It's a mixer, it's an audio interface, it's Sound Devices! But as I said, if it was difficult to find an Energizer XP4001 you can imagine what will it happen with the MixPre D. You can import it but you can't imagine how much will it cost! Anyway, the MixPre D is in my plans because I work with audio for video also and I have worked with the 302 and the sound quality is awesome.

Thanks.
richmn

Post by richmn »

For an iPod Touch 4th Generation would this Tascam iXZ work?
I want to plug in either my guitar or my Shure Microphone.
The Tascam iXZ looks like it can do both on paper, though I don't see where I'd plug my guitar in (isn't that always a 1/4" jack)?

http://tascam.com/news/display/689/

I'm a little disappointed to find there are no options for stereo recording onto my iPod Touch 4th generation yet :(.
wmckelvey

Post by wmckelvey »

richmn wrote:For an iPod Touch 4th Generation would this Tascam iXZ work?

I'm a little disappointed to find there are no options for stereo recording onto my iPod Touch 4th generation yet :(.
It is on the way.
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaudiointerface2/
richmn

Post by richmn »

First response: hurray, stereo line-in!
Then...$399! Holy cow, I paid $200 for my iPod Touch!
That said hopefully there will be other options developed that don't cost as much as my original device.