Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Agent36

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by Agent36 »

i am an experimenter so i went ahead and got these, Dynex™ 6' A/V Cable for Apple™ iPod&™ with Video (9.99 us bestbuy), and two 1/4 to phono adapters(4.00 us bestbuy for 2). i iplugged the 1/4 to phono into the left/ mono 1/4 output of the emu 404 (pictured above), i then plugged the red phono wire into that adpter. then i connected the 3 ring end of the av cables into the iphone headphone jack and got instant signal into multi track, and the ground lift on the emu really helps clean up the line signal.

One thing i forgot one thing, monitoring , hahah (its always something right), so i was thinking of these 3 remedies,
1) a ringed 1/8 Y adapter ?
2) i have a blue mikey, but when i tried to use that as a monitor it became the mic, i believe that the dock mic overides the heaphone mic, wich is intended? i thought i had read that here somewhere. but is the mickey a possibility?
3) an additional set of dock audio cables that go to another external monitoring device such as a headphone amp etc?

any recomendations?

anyways hope that helps anyone that is thinking of using some piece of equipment laying around, i'm always aquiring more audio equipment and damn it gets expensive, so using something i already have is a great feeling, and helps with the wife! :)

Thanks,
Agent 36
Agent36

Post by Agent36 »

I know its the weekend so i dont expect a reply yet, and im still looking for monitoring/input through options. i came acros this adapter called the headset buddy, its 12.95 us, made for iphone 3g and 3gs, picture below, thoughts? also here's the link http://www.theheadsetbuddy.com/PC-Compu ... -0021A.htm

Sorry for all the posts,

Agent 36
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

I have used my guitar cable (see above) and monitored at the same time (using other recording apps). I don't know specifically whether MultiTrack supports this functionality, but the hardware and OS do.

Be aware that when you use the mic input with something other than one of those little "plug-in-powered" mics, you will have to deal with the level (mic input expects a low level signal, not line-level as from your emu box). You may also have an issue with the fact that the mic input supplies 2.8 VDC power to any connected device. If your device is AC coupled, you should be OK, but a guitar or non-AC coupled device may have crackling or other problems.

If you want a stereo line-level connection, I tested something this weekend that worked nicely. I used a Belkin Tune-Talk mic. It has a jack for plugging in a different stereo mic, or for a line-level stereo source. You can set a switch on the Tune-Talk and it is compatible with wither line-level or mic-level signal. Belkin says the Tune-Talk also puts power out on that jack. I haven't measured whether the power is there even in line-level mode, but I assume it is. However, I directly connected my Kaossillator and got extremely clean recordings from it. Monitoring is an issue though because the TuneTalk blocks the iPod headset jack. I need to get a dock extender for that.
Agent36

Post by Agent36 »

thanks j, i will look at the tune talk, however i stubled across a 3gs accessory package at tj max, it came with a charger, phone and wall, a silicone case and most helpfull of all a 3 ringed head phone slpitter! it works fine and i have not heard any problems yet! the best part is all that was 19.00 us at tj maxx (a charger s more than that)! i would still consider a belkin, as this cable does seem fragile, im sure wear and tear would takes this one out quick, but i couldnt resist as i was out with the wife and it saved a trip of dragging her around for other options.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The headset buddy looks like it's only mono output, but the other product you got at tj maxx looks interesting. Is there a brand name on it?
Agent36

Post by Agent36 »

The pack from tj maxx was called iessentials, made by mizco, never heard of them. i meant to post it came with a car and wall charger. i'm in huntington beach ca, if that helps you location wise. i will try and post a pic of the cable later.

the posibilities of recording with just an iphone has seriously got me wanting to design an interface just for the phone. i travel a lot so it would be ideal for geting ideas worked out.
i might hit up my dad hes an electrician, and a guitar player as well, maybe he would be interested in creating something marketable. i'm really suprised that many manufacures are not on this already, and if they are why they aren't advertising and such. last time i went to sam ash, and guitar center i half expected an ipod/ iphone section. i'm not sure that this phone classifies as a fad anymore once it acually produces results. thanks for the app!

Agent 36
AkaManzana

Post by AkaManzana »

Hi Guys, does anybody knows if is possible to hook up a preamp like the Art Tube Mic Preamp with a camcorder mini A/V cable attached to an XLR adapter into the preamp output.
Agent36

Post by Agent36 »

i would think so. is camera kit from the dock, or the headset jack? i have the av cables w adapters going from a preamp/emu 404 going to a 3 ring head phone spliter cable i lucked into and its been ok, though im not sure about the dock i would think it was similar, and you would monitor through the headset, like as if the blue mic was attached to the dock then the head set jack is for monitoring. those art pres are decent for being so reasonably priced, i have a couple myself just in case! but read the previous posts as im sure that someone has mentioned using an art on here as well, if not in this thread another. if your refering to the ipad version camera kit i have no clue, i havent went there yet :(

agent 36
AkaManzana

Post by AkaManzana »

Im recording on an iphone 3g. I want to hook it to the phone jack not the dock. The way I've seen it online also here I think its with the A/V cable yellow end as the mic input (art pre), red and white being right and left audio which I plan to connect to a headphone amp. Hope it works. I know its kind of a lil big setup for a mobile app but I find it so easy to record with this app its worth it for me instead of worrying about a big pc with its fans or a laptop with interfaces. I hope I get a good sound for my vocals with this setup.

Hooray!!!! For the great app by the way.
Agent36

Post by Agent36 »

i think all the wiring is dependent on the brand as far as colors, like the red is the audio cable im using as an out from the pre, how ever im monitoring not from the av cables but from the headphone adapter if that makes sense. if your just trying to monitor the ouput from the preamp, using the camera cable, then i would think thats fine, but if your trying to hear what you previousy recorded and your current input im not sure that would woul work, thats where the 3 ring headphone splitter comes in, at least for me. hope that helps,

Agent 36