Tascam US-800 (8 Inputs simultaneously)

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Ringleader42

Re: Tascam US-800 (8 Inputs simultaneously)

Post by Ringleader42 »

One more thing, I am getting wierd artifacts when trying to use the spdif input. I am assuming that the clocks aren't syncing up between the two units (US-800 and Line 6 HD500). Since the clock in the HD500 has to be the master, has anyone figured out how to make the US-800 be the slave?
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

Just downloaded the app and am really looking forward to being able to record my band on my iPad.

Is the tascam the best in this price range? I found one up here in Canada that's fairly close... Is there a better alternative for around the 150 price range? I have to grab this one within 24 hours unless someone has a better suggestion....

I looked at the Alesis io dock, but lie, being able to do 6 mono at a time....
fac

Post by fac »

I've been using the US-800 with an iPad 2 for the past few months and haven't had any problems using it with Multitrack DAW. My iPad is up to date (iOS 5.1) and I'm still able to record 6 tracks simultaneously (I could probably do 8 but I don't have any gear with SPDIF output).

I still recommend the US-800. I bought it in December when it was $99 and haven't regretted it in the least, even though it doesn't work at all with my Windows XP PC.
GenghisKhan

Post by GenghisKhan »

My tascam just arrived from zzounds, I'm happy to report it was plug and play with my ipad3.
Awesome stuff!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Hi: new here and just got MultiTrack DAW to use with a Tascam US-800. I just bought one used and it works just fine. I'm not sure why the advisory against it was posted on the first thread because I've had no issues with it on iOS 5.1.1. The only caveat is that you have to do a proper setup of the monitoring on Mac or PC before using it on the iPad (I have an iPad 2) and you have to keep it powered when you take it from the computer to the CCK or it'll forget the settings.

I was even able to record locked to external SPDIF, using an Apogee MiniMe connecting and setting it up with an external clock on the computer. Once on the iPad, it recorded 8 tracks without issue in MT. I then turned the MiniMe off and without problems all 8 tracks played back properly. Just to see, I turned the MiniMe on again, and to my surprise it again was able to record all 8 tracks without any artifacts. So it seems it will toggle from external to internal clock if it's set up and locked to external clock before you plug it into iOS.

Now, I haven't tried the overdubbing yet as my intention is more to capture live simultaneous 8 track recordings, but I will try it to see if the headphone thing is a still a problem. But again, I'm not sure why it's getting a bad rap. BTW: thanks for MT: it's a very handy and functional piece of software.
Tkhorik

Post by Tkhorik »

I just got a T-800 and I was testing the unit last night with my iPad 2. I primarily wanted this for recording my band as a whole, but I tried some overdubbing last night. The first track was a rhythm guitar riff and that recorded just fine. However, when I recorded the second track, I used the monitor from the mixer with the click turned on, but the resulting track was like a full second off of the click...and the first track...when I played it back. I was able to edit/move the track to get it almost in sync, but is this what you all are experiencing as well or is there something I'm missing? I'll want to go back and add/fix stuff post recording for sure, so this might be a show-stopper. I'm sure hoping I'm just doing something stupid.

A little more info: I had connected the unit to my PC for the soft configuration settings and set pretty much everything to default. I noticed the latency configuration, but I left it alone...maybe that's where I messed up?

This whole iPad recording thing is a bit odd, but I'm determined to make it work...it's just too darn convenient!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

T
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It' seems the latency compensation can get screwed up sometimes, usually when switching between audio apps, because each app somtimes tries to take control of the audio hardware and request different buffer sizes or bit depths and can cause issues with apps running in the background. The next version of multitrack has better "greed control" when switching back, better detection of changed buffer sizes which will affect latency compensation. It should help depending on the app being switched to and depending on the policy of the latest iOS version :)
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

The Tascam 800 works fine with the Multitrack DAW, but it will not work with Pro Tools 9 or 10 amazingly as it has fixed irregular buffer sizes that cannot be changed . This has been acknowledged by Tascam. So this just limits its flexibility. It's hard to believe Tascam did not ge this one right. As a dedicated Pro Tools user, I'll go instead with the Presonus 1818.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I noticed one thing: when the buffer setting gets out of sync, if you switch to some synth apps temporarily, it seems to reset the buffer size. I was using Orphium which doesn't always work; my goto app for doing this now is Sunrizer Synth. For some reason whenever I switch to it, the latency corrects right away.

Another thing that might work is switching to an app that has an aggressive option for buffer size reduction and using it, or even switching background audio temporarily on. But nothing works as well for me as switching to Sunrizer.

Glad to hear a MultiTrack upgrade will be taking more aggressive moves to control this. I assume a full blown mixer control page for the US-800 would be totally out of the question, right? ;)
jotabass

Re: ZOOM R16

Post by jotabass »

just tried with the zoom r16 and got the error message, although the zoom is trying and i haven't looked for a different setting possibility in the zoom programming. haven't given up...will post developments as i have time to search and the post. thanks for the answers pwnified! much appreciated...