Transferring Multitrack projects from iphone to ipad ...

How to use MultiTrack DAW
CherryRed

Transferring Multitrack projects from iphone to ipad ...

Post by CherryRed »

Hi,

I plan to get an iPad as soon as it is released in the UK. I already use Multitrack on my 3gs.
Question - if I sync my ipad with the same copy of itunes that I use to sync my 3gs, will all my Multitrack projects, tracks and level settings and so on sync over to my ipad too ? Or are the Multitrack projects only stored on the device they are created on / uploaded to ?

The reason I ask is because I have an established set with projects with specific volume levels that I want to directly transfer to the iPad when I get it. I could compare levels from the 3gs copies to new iPad copies created via the wifi browser (of course all my individual project tracks are backed up, because they are created with Logic or GB and then uploaded to the 3gs for performance ;) ) and set these manually of course, which wouldn't take an age or anything, but I am curious to know if this chore will be neccessary or not.

Thanks loads. Loving the app - I use it in performance every week.
pwnified

Re: Transferring Multitrack projects from iphone to ipad ...

Post by pwnified »

Yes, iTunes backups are compatible between devices. Also MultiTrack 2.0 will feature individual song backups (as a zip) using Wifi. Now if only I could get it released :D
CherryRed

Post by CherryRed »

Oh, excellent news, thanks !!
Hope you get your app sorted soon. I can't wait for my iPad and MultiTrack. Add my usb mic to the camera connection kit with it and I'll be in clover. :D
pointseast

Post by pointseast »

First off I just have to say how great this program is! Slick, intuitive UI! Fun and productive.

So, I use MT DAW on my iPad to capture song ideas and then build on them. For instance, I'll lay down a basic acoustic guitar track and then work melody and accompaniment off of that. Many of these ideas occur in strange places at strange times (like while driving, etc.) and MT DAW is perfect for catching the idea and then expanding on it later.

Anyway, I'd like to use it on my 3GS iPhone also. I'd like the songs to automatically sync between my devices through iTunes. In the previous posts it sounded like that would work automatically but I don't see my iPad songs on the iPhone after syncing both. Anything that I need to ensure is set up?
Thanks again.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It's wont work automatically, but you can backup and restore by control-clicking or option-clicking or right-clicking on the device in iTunes. Then select "Back Up" on the device you want to save the songs from, in your case the iPad because you want to move songs from the iPad to the iPhone. Then select "Restore from Backup..." on the iPhone, and you will be presented with a list of all the backups. Select the iPad backup. I'm not sure of the overwriting policies, if a song exists on the destination with the same name, it could get blown away. Or, all the songs could get blown away and replaced with the ones you are transferring. Using this method will basically restore the whole phone to what is on the iPad.

Having said all that, it might be better to use the Wi-Fi to save a project zip of the songs on the iPad, and then transfer them to the iPhone using the "Upload Project". Since I wrote all the code for the Wi-Fi system, I made sure it never overwrites songs and instead renames them. That's something I couldn't do with the iTunes system because Apple writes all that code.
pointseast

Post by pointseast »

Thanks for the quick answer. I was having trouble using the WiFi project transfer. Turns out that I had the Mac automatically unzipping the project file. If I compressed it on the Mac MT DAW would not recognize it. After unchecking "Open 'safe' files after downloading" in Safari Preferences it works perfectly.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yeah, the format of the zip was a "zip bomb" meaning the files are at the root of the archive. So to recreate a MultiTrack Project Zip, you need to go into the directory and select all the files, and then zip them, and rename the zip file to what you want the song name to be. I'll look into supporting a subdirectory in the project zip.