Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pwnified

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by pwnified »

Anorton wrote:Can anyone confirm if the Blue yeti and the Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Hub White work with iPad 2?
It should work, Blue mentions on their site that the Blue Yeti is compatible if you upgrade iOS.
pwnified

Re: Samson meteor mic info

Post by pwnified »

pgf102 wrote:Any reviews for the meteor mic and compatibility with iPad1?
Yes it works even without a hub, just the Camera Connector Kit is all thats required.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Fostex has announced a solution for iPhone 4:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs ... bdUf.shtml

Surprisingly the iPod touch 4 is being left out again.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Just got The Samson Meteor. It's a USB large diaphragm condenser that works with the camera connector on iPad. So far, it sounds really nice and warm, has a great s:n ratio and consistently works when plugged in.
Daisrael

Post by Daisrael »

Well I just got my brand new iRig mic. But I cannot get Multitrack to function with it.
I arm the track, tap record, and nothing happens. I tried the same steps but added a tap to the play button....still nothing? What am I missing? I thought I was getting proficient with MT DAW but this has me scratching my head.

Little help anyone?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It should work, try the Voice Memos app and see if it works with that.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

Samson meteor mic works with iPad, but there's no way to control the input gain. On Mac os x you can use sound preferences to control the input gain in the mic. That is, changing the input gain preference actually changes the gain in the mic, not just in the computer.

On iPad, you can change the input gain in multitrack, but this only changes the gain in iOS, not in the mic. So if the mic is clipping, it will continue to clip even though the gain looks ok.

Apogee mike looks like it has a gain pot on the mic, just like jam. That may be a better option.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

No word from Samson on how to set the input gain in the mic with iPad. I find this mic pretty much unusable with iPad on any recording app. The mic is too hot and distorts even with an acoustic guitar 3-5 feet away. Then there's too much room sound and noise for quality recording. I don't know if iOS core audio even supports setting the gain in a USB mic. But the mic isn't too useful without it. I'm looking into writing an app that sets the mic gain. Not sure it thats possible, or if the setting would be retained when switching to another app. It might. If so, that would be a reasonable work around.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

jamsden wrote:No word from Samson on how to set the input gain in the mic with iPad. I find this mic pretty much unusable with iPad on any recording app. The mic is too hot and distorts even with an acoustic guitar 3-5 feet away. Then there's too much room sound and noise for quality recording. I don't know if iOS core audio even supports setting the gain in a USB mic. But the mic isn't too useful without it. I'm looking into writing an app that sets the mic gain. Not sure it thats possible, or if the setting would be retained when switching to another app. It might. If so, that would be a reasonable work around.
Just curious if you tried it with GarageBand, since Apple and Apogee seem to be in cahoots.
Thatbastarddon

Post by Thatbastarddon »

jamsden wrote:Samson meteor mic works with iPad, but there's no way to control the input gain. On Mac os x you can use sound preferences to control the input gain in the mic. That is, changing the input gain preference actually changes the gain in the mic, not just in the computer.

On iPad, you can change the input gain in multitrack, but this only changes the gain in iOS, not in the mic. So if the mic is clipping, it will continue to clip even though the gain looks ok.

Apogee mike looks like it has a gain pot on the mic, just like jam. That may be a better option.
I seem to be having the same issue here on ipad2 with the samson gomic.
I have tried it with DAW and garage band, but the mic seems to clip almost constantly.
What i mean by that is that the mic actually shows clipping, not the app(if the input gain is dropped appropriately).
Yes, kind of a bummer. This definately makes it not very useful.
I thought that it could be operator error on my part, then i found these posts.
I have not tried it on anything other than ipad2 yet though.
Curious to see any solution arise.

Don