Lightning Port

How to use MultiTrack DAW
anfirmor

Lightning Port

Post by anfirmor »

Anyone had experience of connecting their audio devices via the lightning port. Which adapters (30 pin or USB) work?

I have weakened and ordered an iPhone 5 and my teeth are clenching at the £25 Apple want to rectify their stupid change of dock connector.

I have a Tascam IM2, Tascam IXJ2 and Line 6 Mobile In.

Thanks in advance
Nu2moro

Re: Lightning Port

Post by Nu2moro »

Anfirmor, I have mobile keys and mobile in, both work fine with the £25 adaptor cable. The iPhone 5 is a massive improvement over the 4 for music so it eased the pain :-)

Audiobus support is imminent for mobile pod also ;-)
Keith

Post by Keith »

Works great with Apogee. I did the one with a short cable. It seems less bulky and less stress on phone when handling.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Thanks for the help. The El Cheapo lightning to 30 pin adapter I got from Ebay was a failure but I can always use it for charging.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Be careful charging with those knock off's. My friend's son fried his 5 using a $12 eBay 30pin to lightning adapter.

There's a lot going on in those Apple versions including surge protection. Check it mang.
http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recenttea ... n-adapter/
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Thanks for the heads up. Far too much going on inside them IMHO.

OK. Purchased a genuine Apple adapter and my devices now light up. I would love to listen but now find I can't get the bloody headphones into the 3.5mm jack which Apple so brilliantly but at the bottom of the iPhone 5.

So if you are considering getting an adapter my advice would be get the one with 0.2 meters of cable on it.

If Apple design is so well considered then the only conclusion can be that they do this kind of trick to deliberately force their customers into buying the ridiculously expensive option instead of the stupidly expensive option.

So when they bring out a car you can safely assume the foot pedals will be on the opposite side to the steering wheel and the key us an optional extra.

Off to cut up an old pair of headphones with a right angle plug and solder up a 3.5mm socket.

Grrrr!!!!

I'll love it in a few weeks though:-)
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Interesting link there Martygras.

All the silicon they couldn't fit in the phone. Reading that article suggests that the standard USB to lightning cable has hardware in it. Is this true?
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Another deconstruction.

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recenttea ... ing-cable/

Battery monitor chips and transistors inside the lightning plug. I would guess some kind of current monitoring/limiting or overcharging protection. If so it's worrying that this may not be implemented inside the phone.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Aah. This seems to be more reasonable assumption on whats going on.

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/technolog ... usb-cable/

It's all a far cry from my old valve driven 1962 Watkins Copycat.