airpod pro 2nd gen latency

How to use MultiTrack DAW
kokomodo

airpod pro 2nd gen latency

Post by kokomodo »

The airpod 2 pro latency is approximately 126 ms (not sure what iphone configuration.) See here: https://stephencoyle.net/airpods-pro-2.

I used to use MTDAW as an iPhone based studio to practice and record soprano sax in my truck. Stereo mic into the lightning connector, audiobus to patch in backing tracks from iRealPro, and headphones from the headphone jack. It worked great. Then Apple took away the headphone jack. That was years ago. I've recently decided to rebuild that system, and I'm curious if the latency in bluetooth earbuds would make playing/recording difficult.

Has anyone tried this or a similar configuration? Mic in to the lightning port, blue tooth ear buds, play tracks and record new tracks at the same time while monitoring with airpod pro or similar bluetooth earbuds?

-Kokomodo
pwnified

Re: airpod pro 2nd gen latency

Post by pwnified »

Theoretically it should work fine for recording but I'm fairly certain it's never going to work for input monitoring. You might be better off forgoing the bluetooth/airplay and get a lightning interface or lightning headset adapter for low latency input monitoring.
kokomodo

Post by kokomodo »

I appreciate that insight. Unfortunately, my mic connects through the lightning port. And, the lightning port splitters or headphone/lighting dual adapters only transfer power through the lighting port (last time I checked.) So, I cannot get data (audio) and data (mic) to go through the same port. It's one or the other. So...bluetooth is the only other option I've found. I may just call it my birthday, buy a pair, and see how it goes.

Of course one solution is simply not to monitor myself. However, adding the reverb and other effects, and getting that near field sound from the horn makes practicing much more enjoyable.

When Apple took away the separate headphone jack, I held on for as long as I could, but eventually my phone died and I had to upgrade. Losing that headphone jack destroyed my entire mobile studio/practice rig.

-Kokomodo
Last edited by kokomodo on March 8th, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kokomodo

Post by kokomodo »

Note this article on minimum perceptible latency. As these results are in the 10 to 20 millisecond range, I have to think that 120 milliseconds will be too much (as you predict.) However, the article in the OP notes that the hard wired computer speakers had 83 milliseconds of latency. It makes me wonder if his setup was not optimized for audio monitoring.

https://ask.audio/articles/monitoring-l ... can-you-go
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Hmm yes, interesting, let us know how this goes! It's a shame about the power on the lightning port, I haven't checked in a while but there may be some products that allow charging/usb audio at the same time by now
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Update: I happened to find a product that might help, it's a Belkin lightning port splitter
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Lightning ... B01LXFKSNA

It says it can charge at the same time as recording audio, nice.