iRig questions

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Anorton

iRig questions

Post by Anorton »

I have a 32 gig 3rd generation iPod touch (all updated). Would I be able to plug in a Shure 48 or an Alesis HR-16 through the iRig? Also, can I plug my electric guitar into an effect pedal, plug the pedal into the iRig and then into MT? As you can see, my gear is old school.
pwnified

Re: iRig questions

Post by pwnified »

I have an hr16! You're post made me dig it out just so I could laugh :) It's a great drum machine.

The iRig is designed as a high impedance guitar input, so the pedal should probably work and the hr16, but the microphone might not. Perhaps someone who has an iRig can weigh in, it's hard to know unless you try it. But one thing for sure, the iRig is only mono input, so the hr16 might sound a little weak by taking just one channel.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

HR-16 was the easiest drummer to work with, always played just what I asked. Output one is automatically adjusted to mono when you use only one output (if I'm reading it right, that is). It always worked great with my old Tascam 4 track. Thanks for such a quick response, and I'd be enormously interested to hear from anyone who is using an iRig. Again, thanks for creating such an amazing app. I'm still blown away by what I can do with my acoustic and a couple of vocal tracks just using the earbud mic that came with my iPod touch.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I received my iRig the other day and am very satisfied. At this point, their app is useless for MT, but the adapter is great for direct input of guitar, bass, and even my old HR-16 drum machine! I've used my effect pedals with my old strat and am as happy as I could be with a direct input. I also used my Fender P on a song and it sounds very good. I should also stress that all of this is light years beyond what I expected, and MT is changing my life by giving me back my songwriting. In an email correspondence with a marketing director at Amplitube (the manufacturer of iRig), I was told that plans are in the works to make the iRig app recording friendly. Of course I requested they use Intua pasteboard. I guess we'll have to see what they come up with. I did enjoy using their free app to play my Srat, which has been put away for far too long. The sounds and tones are again, more than I expected. Of course, this is all new for me. Thanks MT, pwnified, jorgren, and everyone on this forum for all the help and information!
lostlogik

Post by lostlogik »

Must admit, I'm amazed at how well and easily the iRig works with MT. Really was just a case of plugging in my guitar and playing a track. Great piece of kit, especially at the price.
silverhick

Post by silverhick »

Have you tested a mic with it yet Anorton?
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

No, I haven't. I thought I still had a 1/4 inch jack for my mic, but I haven't been able to locate it as of yet. I will post when I get my hands on one.
vegasmixer

Post by vegasmixer »

My question is, Are you recording the guitar dry? no FX?
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I've been using pedals (Rat distortion, compressor/sustainer, delay) between the guitar and the iRig adapter. I'm digging the sounds I'm getting. It's not an amp, but I'm happy with it.
polaris20

Post by polaris20 »

I just wanted to add that this works with modelers such as a PocketPOD from Line 6 as well, in addition to my Roland GR-30 guitar synth. There's some pretty amazing things you can get out of an iPad, POD, and synth.

Multitrack DAW is just flat out an amazing piece of software! For $9.99, it's a steal. Anyone who ever said iPads (and iPhones for that matter) can't be content creation devices weren't thinking deep enough.