Coming up on 1 year since last update. What's up?

New Features and requests for new features
martygras

Coming up on 1 year since last update. What's up?

Post by martygras »

Well it's been almost a year since the last update and there have been a large number of feature requests by users, but no indication of any intention to add anything or fix current bugs.

Pwnified: it would be really nice if you could give us something to look forward to. There's been so many feature requests, but no indication of whether you're even listening to us users.

Not even an attempt at releasing an update fixing the bugs we've been having to deal with all year.

I bought MT DAW, as I do many apps, because it showed a lot of potential, but the only thing added since I bought MT DAW is the addition of Audiobus support, and some new bugs.

The only time I see you post here is to offer up an explanation of a bug and to offer a workaround. The whole reason I bought an iPad was so I wouldn't have to use workarounds anymore.

I think I speak for many here that the lack of communication regarding future plans for MT DAW is frustrating.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
pwnified

Re: Coming up on 1 year since last update. What's up?

Post by pwnified »

Apologies for the lack of transparency recently, there's been a lot going on. So the main issue stopping the release is limitations/bugs with Inter-app Audio. The main limitation is that only one plugin instance is allowed, globally per device. I had set up multitrack to allow instances of plugins, on tracks, busses, and on the master bus, and to save and recall the plugins when the song is opened. This can fail depending on the other apps that are running if they are using the plugin. Also, the settings. There is no API for getting the settings that a plugin uses that the daw can save or push back to the plugin. So, I was working on an open system that plugin devs could implement for saving/restoring settings. There are still iOS bugs with plugins not cleaning up correctly when disconnected, so a reboot is required in many cases (because running plugins don't always show up in the taskbar, where they could be killed).

In short, there are a bunch of issues with IAA and I'm not about to release a half-assed version like some of these other daws. But I've taken the opportunity to rewrite some other audio related goodness into multitrack and cleanup some others. The main menu has been redone, and you can re-order the song icons, and a bunch of UI related stuff has been worked on. Optimizations across the board for better cpu use, and it takes advantage of the 64 bit architectures of the new devices. The ability to act as an input node in Audiobus.

I was hoping to have something out by Christmas and all that, but it's not looking good for that either unfortunately. I always like to do a big beta test to make sure bugs are caught and there might not be time before apple closes for the holidays.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Thanks for the reply Pwnified.
Yes, there are several articles out regarding the flaws in Apple's IAA, although Auria (and others) have it working for the most part, but there is still much to be desired. Many people are happy to be on the "public beta team" and I fall into that category somewhat, but, yes it is still at "half-assed level".

I'm extremely excited to hear about the menu and file management design changes as are many others here I bet. I've been very happy with the app for the last year, but I find myself needing some of the slightly more advanced editing and mixdown tools for some of the more extensive projects I've had to do. Automation, (vol/pan/fx) being one of the most needed for me.

I ended up buying Auria which is very expensive once you've purchased several of the IAP's, but it was necessary to get my work done.
If it is any consolation, MT DAW is my main tracking app due to its rock solid ability to record many tracks simultaneously on an iPad 2 (or iPhone) without crashing it.

I support your efforts 100% and understand completely how difficult it must be keeping up with Apple's changes to their OS.

I also support your belief in not releasing something that is just disappointing for the user.

Waiting for the next update is really hard when I want to just "get r' done" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all,
Marty
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
GuiltySouls

Post by GuiltySouls »

Great to hear, and thanks for asking what a lot of us are thinking.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

It would be really good to have a maintenance release first, forget IAA, just a stable version that fixes the outstanding bugs, before launching into a big update with lots of new features, great though they all sound.

This is something which I have to say DAW writers do across the board (with perhaps the exception of Reason). It's important to know which versions of the app are stable and which are more 'experimental'. The limitations of iOS make this even more important - as you can't (with rare exceptions) back out OS upgrades, and you can only go back to earlier app versions in a convoluted way. If your business or hobby relies on the app working solidly, then it's good to get maintenance releases which are free of new features, and then hold off until others experiment with the 'big' releases.

I look forward to whatever comes out though, whenever it does!

Dominic
ayampols

Post by ayampols »

dominicperry wrote:It would be really good to have a maintenance release first, forget IAA, just a stable version that fixes the outstanding bugs
Agree with this sentiment 100%. But I understand if it's too hard to do if development did not branch the codebase for IAA specifically. I am just looking forward to what I consider to be purely functional fixes, not new features. I would like to be able to use it with my Apogee hardware; to be able to use the punch feature without constantly hunting down those markers; to be able to re-order the tracks; and to not have to constantly delete phantom empty songs whenever I open the app from AudioBus.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Some fixes don't depend on IAA. I think there is some validity in calling for an incremental update to address the requests we've seen on this forum where possible. Sometimes you have to throw a few sweeties to the kids if dinner is late.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Any news on the update?
martygras

Post by martygras »

Nuthin'.
I even checked the Twitter feed for Harmonicdog.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I'm setting a release date for late February / early march. Thanks for your patience.