Ver. 3.4.2 doesn't fix IAA on iPad

New Features and requests for new features
B.Skaigh

Ver. 3.4.2 doesn't fix IAA on iPad

Post by B.Skaigh »

I'd really like to try IAA on this but as of the latest update it still doesn't show all my apps that support IAA as generators (or instruments to use a GarageBand term) on my iPad 2.

For reference these are the generator apps I have that support IAA:

Alchemy Mobile, Chordion, DM1, Drumjam, Magellan, SampleTank

Neither Alchemy nor SampleTank show up as inputs or generators on Multitrack. I use SampleTank a lot.

If you could respond to this post I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
pwnified

Re: Ver. 3.4.2 doesn't fix IAA on iPad

Post by pwnified »

Pretty strange actually. It seems other host apps are having the same problem, I found this link: http://synthpatcher.com/iaa-host-app-compatibility/

I tried installing Alchemy Mobile, and yes, it didn't show up in the list of generators. But it also didn't show up in AudioShare as either a generator or an instrument. I don't know what to say here, it seems there are some bugs with IAA in iOS. If you could try reboots and reinstalls of some apps and see if that helps, we might be able to pin this down and file bugs with Apple.
martygras

Post by martygras »

As wonderful of an app Alchemy is, it always seems to release major updates with weird flaws. Most of which seem to center around the IAA usage.
I'm sure many people are aware that an app can be released in a workable state, but if not coded properly it can fall apart when the OS is revised. Sometimes it's Apples fault, but many more apps have experienced big hiccups when the OS is updated.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
B.Skaigh

Post by B.Skaigh »

I'll go ahead and delete and reinstall MT, SampleTank and Alchemy. By reboot are you referring to the hard reboot of the iPad? The one that takes a good while to accomplish?

BTW, Alchemy does show up as an input source ( can't we all use the same lingo.....source, generator, instrument, jeez) for me on AudioShare. I'm using version 2.2.12 of Alchemy and version 2.6 of AudioShare.
B.Skaigh

Post by B.Skaigh »

Well, deleted the apps, reinstalling a nod rebooting the iPad didn't help. I guess I'll have to go by your expertise when stating this is an Apple problem but I do find it odd that it doesn't exist with AudioShare.

Have a look
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.93 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Looks like it's an instrument only in that screenshot. MultiTrack doesn't support Instruments at this time, only Generators.
B.Skaigh

Post by B.Skaigh »

Okay, so that explains why GarageBand lists them because they show as instruments. So....what's the difference between a generator and an instrument?
martygras

Post by martygras »

That's a good question. I'll have to see if the gang over at the Audiobus forum know about it.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Basically, Generators are audio and Instruments are midi.
B.Skaigh

Post by B.Skaigh »

Okay I still don't get it. Both of those apps generator audio streams. Now, it's true that both are sample based as opposed to a synth engine but when I use them with Audiobus or IAA with GarageBand I get an audio recording.

So, is it because they are sample based and use midi notes internally, that MT won't support them?

Just so you know, MT was the third app I purchased, behind GarageBand and ThumbJam. That was a few years ago. I love the simplicity of the app but quite frankly it has less use to me if I can't use these two apps with IAA. I've pretty much abandoned Audiobus in favor of IAA.