SPLIT!

New Features and requests for new features
johnnymultitrack

SPLIT!

Post by johnnymultitrack »

I have been using Multitrack DAW for a few weeks and I am very impressed at the software. There is however something that I might be missing, but I cant seem to find it and it really is vital to editing.

Where is "Split"?

You know, if in the middle of a track I decide to split the track and copy one part, or maybe do 2 splits around a segment and copy that piece?

I have been trimming the track from the start to the spot I want to split and/or from the end working backwards. When I have the section I want I copy it. I then open a new track and bring in a new bin and do it all again.

I am doing 5-6 times the amount of work I need done only because there is no "Split" function. Please add this function as it is a vital part of any audio editing suite. And if it is already there, then someone please point me in the right direction.

I honestly think it must already be there, but I haven't been able to find it, because really, who ever heard of a digital multi-tracker without "split". Someone help me plz!!!!!!!
pwnified

Re: SPLIT!

Post by pwnified »

It's coming I promise!
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Good to hear. I'd love this.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

I'm really looking forward to this. There are workarounds, but having this will really improve my workflow.
johnnymultitrack

Very good news indeed.

Thanks for responding, and thanks for developing this app. I absolutely love it, and it has helped me take my recording/editing sessions on the road and into other areas of my life, like the train, and I am getting a lot more done now because of it.

I can't wait for Split to be implemented. We really need that. After that my vote is for an eq on each track....

Keep up the good work!
beyond

Post by beyond »

I think I understand split -- isn't it just like instantly copying and pasting a part next to itself?

If so, why does this add so much convenience? I can see where it would be a little easier, but isn't it just the same as copying and pasting a part?

Thanks for any insight! :mrgreen:
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Split cuts a region into two sections at the playhead. As an example, say you recorded yourself and guitar on a track, made a flub, and started that verse over. So you want to remove that flub in the middle. With split you would make two splits, remove the middle and drag the beginning and end together.

Currently the easiest way I have found to do it is to copy the recording, paste it to a second track, trim from the end of the first track all the way up to the early cut point. Then trim the second track from the beginning all the way to the late cut point, then copy the remaining section from track two to track one and move it in place. This takes substantially longer to accomplish than the split method would.
beyond

Post by beyond »

Makes sense, thanks for explaining the split, Kevin! :mrgreen:
eopix

Post by eopix »

I also want Split, but with its partner, Join. So I could highlight 2 regions and join them into one.

I also want to be able to *mute* regions in a track. For example:

original track: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
split track: XXXXXXXX|XXXXXXXXXXX|XXXXXXX
muted region: XXXXXXXX|mmmmmmm|XXXXXXX

Cakewalk Sonar does this. Why is this desirable? You can try different parts of your track in a mix without destroying anyting or moving it around.
johnnymultitrack

You don't forget about us!

SPLIT!

The work-around is annoying.