Stereo recordings possible with iPhone Xs internal (stereo) mics?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
10mabo

Stereo recordings possible with iPhone Xs internal (stereo) mics?

Post by 10mabo »

Hi,

the iPhone Xs has internal stereo mics, used for example when recording Videos.

if I open Multitrack DAW on my iPhone Xs there are 3 mic inputs I can choose from, but they are all mono. Is it possible to use the stereo mics of the iPhone Xs to make stereo recordings in Multitrack DAW? Or is this planned for future updates?

Regards, Marc
pwnified

Re: Stereo recordings possible with iPhone Xs internal (stereo) mics?

Post by pwnified »

I don't think it's possible, the input dataSource property in the API seems to only allow a single source at a time. iOS is unfortunately not like MacOS, which does allow combining various inputs into aggregate devices.
10mabo

Post by 10mabo »

Thank you for the answer, pwnified. So I think it´s time for me to get an external stereo mic.

Do you know, if the shure Motive MV88 works with Multitrack?
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88

I know, it´s not listed under compatible devices...
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes. Any mic/interface that works with iOS will work with multitrack :D
BobSimms

Post by BobSimms »

I’ve ordered the new iPhone 11 Pro and am hoping to use it with Multi Track DAW. I’m starting to get a bit worried about how I’m going to run everything into the phone. I understand iRig has the HD 2 interface to accommodate the lightning input on the phone, which reassured me I’ll be able to at least record a track at a time, but what if I want to create a stereo mic mix and run that into MultiTrack DAW?

My rather basic Alesis mixer has a USB out (I’m unclear on what I would need to feed the USB into the phone — USB to lightning cable? — or if the stereo mix will be maintained or if it’ll come out as mono), an RCA out (I’m assuming I can buy an RCA-to-1/8” TRRS cable and then connect that to a TRRS-to-lightning cable and bypass the iRig HD 2 to plug that straight into the phone), and a headphone out which I’m not sure will function the way I would like: as an aux-out that I can run into the iRig HD 2 1/4” input.

If I can get any of the above to work—and does anyone know if any of them will?—does Multi Track DAW accommodate a stereo input and record that stereo mix onto two tracks simultaneously?

I’d appreciate any help anyone can give; I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to this type of iOS recording. (I’m more a cassette Portastudio kind of guy).

Thanks!