AB3 and MTD as output - available audio inputs

How to use MultiTrack DAW
ZEDOS

AB3 and MTD as output - available audio inputs

Post by ZEDOS »

There seems to be a problem with the Auto Generated tracks in MTD when using it as the output from AudioBus3.
If I have multi instances of an AUv3 synth (e.g. SynthMaster Player) MTD will only pick up on 1 instance and create a track for that instance whether it is A or B (not always the same instance). If I manually add a track and assign an input, the 2nd instance outputs are not available?

Secondly, I read somewhere that the transport in MTD is synced to AB3? If I want to record all the tracks/inputs at the same time I want to arm MTD, then when ready, press PLAY on AB3 and everything starts at the same time. Is this possible?
pwnified

Re: AB3 and MTD as output - available audio inputs

Post by pwnified »

Make sure to use multiple pipelines in Audiobus, you can select multitrack as the output for each pipeline. Otherwise, putting multiple inputs into a single pipeline will merge the audio into a single track. So in Audiobus, what you want is something like:
IMG_2871.PNG
You will then have multiple tracks in MultiTrack, which will record in parallel and in sync:
IMG_2873.PNG
The transport controls for multitrack are available in Audiobus and at the top of the instruments:
IMG_2874.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZEDOS

Post by ZEDOS »

Thanks for the reply...
As it turns out, it is a bit "flaky" sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
I can force it to work by adding 1 track/instance at a time in AB then open MTD = it registers ok each time.
If I open a saved session in AB3, it is hit or miss if it works! (just run it 3 times reboot to clear RAM and it worked each time lol...) :?

I am aware of the transport buttons in the header, but MTD will not start all apps, just MTD and the global play button will start all apps except MTD
MTD has to be started and stopped manually in AB3 in all circumstances.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

If you can get it to fail again, please let me know the steps involved. I just tried it a bunch of times with the above configuration, closing the song in multitrack each time, and loading the preset. I also tried it with 8 instances of the instrument into 8 tracks and it works, I tried it 10 times and got bored. But another bug popped up, which is the track/region naming didn't correspond to the instance letters (A, B, C, D, etc). So there is a bug with the track naming I will report to Michael. But I couldn't get your bug to happen. This is with the beta version of Audiobus that just came out yesterday, I didn't try it with the app store version. Also the instrument I used, Phasemaker, is fairly efficient on cpu so a heavier instrument might throw the load sequence off and a bug may appear

MultiTrack is doing what Audiobus tells it to do when loading a preset, ie. load a song with a specific ID and add tracks with specific pipeline ID's. It got a little tricky with Audiobus 3 when closing a song within multitrack while still connected to Audiobus, all the pipelines have to be maintained until another song is opened and then tracks recreated. So it's always possible a bug exists in either multitrack or audiobus, which might manifest under specific conditions

About playback triggers, the global play button in Audiobus is for Ableton Link I think, which multitrack doesn't support currently. It was too processor heavy to add timestretching to multitrack and it threw a wrench in the works for how multitrack maintains efficiency. But things are changing, I'm currently looking it this again