Recording a digital piano

How to use MultiTrack DAW
newcomer77

Recording a digital piano

Post by newcomer77 »

Newbie question: I've used Multitrack DAW a few times to record guitar/vocals using a mic that plugs into my iPAD, but now I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha P-125 digital piano. From the specs online this piano has a USB-to-Host port. Can I use such a port to record directly from piano to Multitrack DAW by connecting theport to my iPad? If so what kind of cable would I need to use? Sorry if my question seems dumb but the articles I've found online about digital recording are over my head at this point. Thanks!
pwnified

Re: Recording a digital piano

Post by pwnified »

Good question. The USB to host port might appear as a regular USB interface to a computer or iOS device using the lightning to USB connector, if this is the case, it would be no problem recording the output directly to multitrack. And would offer superior sound quality because there are no analog conversions along the way. I think it's very possible it will work, I can't think of another reason they would they call it a USB-to-host port. Something to ask the salesperson anyway.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Actually from looking around a bit, it might just be a midi only USB output type thing... dang. Was actually considering getting one as well, if it had the Audio USB outputs. I'll do some more checking.
newcomer77

Post by newcomer77 »

Thanks, I appreciate your effort on trying to clarify this matter!