How to import an mp3 into DAW on an iPad2

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jlovaas

How to import an mp3 into DAW on an iPad2

Post by jlovaas »

Hi all-

My first time trying to import an mp3 or m4a, and it seems to be impossible. My iPad2 is the only internet device I own. I don't have an iTunes account(or a credit card).

There must be some other way of importing audio into a track than from a non-functional Apple Music playlist or a non-functional iTunes account, isn't there?

I can't locate a "how to import audio files into Harmonicdog DAW without using a wifi router or iTunes" FAQ. I hope that's my fault, and someone will post a link.

Thanks.
pwnified

Re: How to import an mp3 into DAW on an iPad2

Post by pwnified »

Hi jlovaas, where is the audio you want to import?
jlovaas

Post by jlovaas »

I have it saved offline in a old version of the Dropbox app.

I had never imported audio before, but had successfully exported to Dropbox many times. just figured it would go the other way. It appears I have to join iTunes Music in order to even create or edit a playlist, so that's no good for me.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Go to where the music is in the dropbox app, and look for an export icon (it looks like a little square with an arrow pointing up). Use that to 'open in' to multitrack. In other words, push the files into multitrack from the Dropbox app. Once the audio opens in multitrack, you can copy it to the pasteboard using the 'import copy' button, then paste onto a track using the Hotbox (Long-Touch over a track rail)
jlovaas

Post by jlovaas »

Huh. No such feature in my outdated(and non-updatable) version of Dropbox. The only square icon- to the left of the filename- only has one action; I touch it, and the file starts playing. I moved the file to the folder the app created, thinking that it would help it "see" the file. No such luck.

My version of Safari is outdated, so I am unable to log on to dropbox.com, to see if the feature is there.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Share? Does that option open the iOS sharing panel?
jlovaas

Post by jlovaas »

No- it opens a window where I can share the file(as a Dropbox link) to an email address. No other features in that popup window. The Dropbox app version is 74.3.2, if that helps.
jlovaas

Post by jlovaas »

Solved it- there's an Export option in the upper right of the main window-
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Nice.
jlovaas

Post by jlovaas »

Weirdly, that Export-Copy to DAW option is only visible from (my old version of)Dropbox's home screen.

This is why I'm still happy with an iPad2 in 2020- it runs DAW flawlessly. Keep up the great work!