Song pointer update on loop

New Features and requests for new features
Misplaced

Song pointer update on loop

Post by Misplaced »

I’m not sure if this is a feature request or a bug. I have loaded ApeMatrix as an IAA instrument and I was pleasantly surprised to see that apps with a timeline in ApeMatrix, such as Atom 2, react to timeline changes in MTD. This is especially useful for recording audio in MTD over the output of ApeMatrix as everything seems to be in perfect sync.

What I have noticed however is that when setting a loop in MTD that the timeline/song position pointer continues in ApeMatrix rather than looping back to the timeline position defined at the start of the MTD loop. For example, say I have 8 bars of music in Atom 2 and I loop the first two bars in MTD then after the first loop Atom continues playing from the second bar, even though MTD has jumped back to the start of the song. If I do not use a loop and simply drag the timeline pointer to the start then Atom does jump back accordingly so it feels like it should be possible to have the timeline jump backwards on loop, I just don’t know if this is a bug or intended behaviour.

If it is technically possible to update the timeline of ApeMatrix on loop then this would be a very useful thing to be able to do.

Thanks.
pwnified

Re: Song pointer update on loop

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, well, multitrack is filling out the HostCallbackInfo completely and totally, in other words all the data is available for the plugins to use. This includes precise info about timing, time signatures, tempo, whether looping or not (cycling on/off) and cycle start and end points. It's up to the plugin to use the information successfully, it sounds like this app in particular might not support host looping or they made a mistake in their coding. I suggest asking their developers if they are using the HostCallbackInfo structures for outIsCycling, outCycleStartBeat, and outCycleEndBeat.

One thing multitrack supports that may be hard to implement is sub-beat looping, ie. looping at any sample point not just at beat/measure divisions.
Misplaced

Re: Song pointer update on loop

Post by Misplaced »

Thanks, I will contact the developer and point them at this thread.